This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Fryk's log

Started by Fryk, June 22, 2009 · 9 Replies · 907 Views

Fryk

First post....

I am not going do a full write up on my previous endevours with-in work out and gymnastics. However it is not my first time in either one.

I started working out using the GB "protocol" some months back, and have recently started a new cycle. Which hopefully should conclude in mid august.

Progress in the statics so far:

Planche: Frogstand to Tuck Planche. Currently I am able to hold a 16-18 second tuck. And as such would like progress, but there is still some height issues to adress.

Front Lever: Tuck to Adv. Tuck. I have 15+ hold so the next step on the ladder would be the straddle or the one-legged. Basicly I have been trying, but I haven't quite gotten it down yet.

Back Lever: Started with the straddle quickly advanced to full back lever. Then I got a 17 second hold, so now I am doing some back pulling movements instead, now it is the reverse crank. Though I am unsure whether it will generate the same progress as four times a week back levers.

I am doing most of the basic exercises in combination with the statics. Pull-ups, push-ups, dips, MPP etc.

In this new cycle I have also included a new alternating routine. I will start my work out with either ring support or 10 minutes of handstand work.

I try to get in some leg work at least a couple of times a week, though I fear it might be an area which could get to little attention. I do try to implement the basic ideas from steady state into my leg work out.

Fryk

Today I took my bicycle for a little spin. It is a single speed with a quite heavy gearing.

2 hours and 19minutes and 70,5km. Which works out at around 30,4km/h in average. All things considered, I am quite pleased with my performance.

Fryk

Back to the normal work-out after the biking.

Warm-up (Sit-ups, push-ups, back extensions and squats) 2x10

Routine "A"

10 minutes of handstand

3 x9 seconds of tuck planche followed by x3 Pseudo Planche Pushups XR, which I can't really figure out. I consider it very hard work, whereas the progressions leading up to it has been quite easy. So there might be some piece of the puzzle I am missing.

4x One Legged FL, which I managed to do for the first time today, though I am unsure about the execution, the upper end of my back seems to be somewhat more rounded than in the adv. tuck. I have noticed this in quite a lot of picture on the front lever so I am not overly concerned by it. After the FL I did x5 Wide Grip Pull up, a little bit of a challenge in the last reps in the fourth round.

3 rounds of Manna, which is all new to me so I am just trying to learn the basic "movement".

and then I did 8-ish Bridge Wall walks for a finish, and I might add that they are god-damn hard.

Fryk

Another week of training has passed.

The issue at the moment is the FL, I have been struggling to get some decent training in the one-legged. I have tried to do negatives instead. I think I may try to switch a little back and forth to help the transition.

After advice from Coach, I have decided to do the L-sit, and leave the BL and Manna. I hate sudden changes in schedule as it leaves you second guessing.

Fryk

This week has been spent on vacating, and wasn't able to find suitable places to work out. I did do half a work out as a part of lowering volume. After wards no opportunity to get the rings up occurred. I did get a little planche training done though. And this afternoon I did a full work-out. Only 2,5-3x work outs this past week, which is somewhat off my normal dedication and persistance.

The template has changed to basicly being a copy of Killroy70's - nothing theoretical about it, just thought that the template looked good. And it is about a 100% match to my current progress and the focus is on the things I need to work on right now.

One thing that caught my attention during training was, that I had a tendency to go to flat on the tuck planche, which makes it much harder - and I found myself struggling to do the 7 second holds. Also my hips wasn't getting quite high enough, only just about shoulder height.

I will take saturday and sunday of, and get back on schedule first thing monday.

Fryk

Approaching the last week of the current cycle. There has been good progress particularly in the planche which feels more firm and secure now.

After having fiddled with the front lever during this cycle, I have come to the conclusion, that my lack of progress is due to of low abdominal or core strength. I have trouble getting into the correct position - and end up bending in the hips albeit very little, I have no trouble keeping this wrong position for a some seconds. When my body align correctly it is only very brief I can hold it.

To fix this problem I will add more oblique and core work in the next cycle, possibly in some sort of routine.

Fryk

I decided to finish the current cycle.

Today I did a max-test on my statics in order to determine the forthcoming cycle.

Planche, tuck, ~20 seconds. Prior to this cycle my max-test showed 13-14 seconds. Also the height and the form was better than the previous test. In the next cycle I will the try to ease into the adv. tuck, though I am not sure how "hard" it is.

Back Lever, Full, ~28seconds. Prior to this cycle my personal best was around 18 seconds. The test itself was quite unpleasant as I find backlevers to be hard over longer periods, my left arm started to hurt quite a bit at the end, 30 seconds would have been attainable if it hadn't been for this issue. I do not know or I haven't decided yet, but I think I will stay with the back lever until I have 5 sets of 15 seconds with the BL. Which probably translates into one cycle from this point on.

I think the Front Lever max-test was the worst from a objective point of view. I started out with the planche, then back lever and finished the static exercises of with the front lever. The rest periods between the static exercises was quite long, perhaps five minutes between each.

There was a different feel to the front lever however, I started to fatigue earlier than I have previous experienced, even under training after 3 or 4 sets of both planche and back lever coupled with FBE. My max-time was eventually 30seconds in adv. tuck, which is the least use-able time of the three, since it was obviously obstructed by fatigue - the form also suffered from the fatigue.

I feel it is time to progress to the one-legged FL, but I have been having issues with that particular progression.

There is a real chance that I might be to weak in some muscles, but I can't be sure. It might as well be body control, or thinking about doing particular things whilst in FL like flexing all of the upper body, pushing down with the hands or tightening the butt.

Overall good progress the last two months, the only thing nagging me at the moment is the FL, which isn't proceeding as planned though the time has improved even with fatigue.

Fryk

Video from max test.

Having watched it a couple of times, I am not to pleased about the form. The fatigue seems to be very evident.

Fryk

Just moved recently, so I had to find myself a new Gym. Only down-side to this, is that there isn't really any good spot for the rings. There is a lot of high-tech machines, which is fairly useless for me. There is also quite a bit of free weights available, and due to the lack of rings I might include some weighted exercises in the future.

Currently I have secured the flat tuck planche, and are going fairly consistently with 5 seconds sets. Because I want to progress in the FL, which has been a head ache of mine for months, I am doing L-sits as well. I have seen consistent progress in Planche and Back Lever as well in other aspects of my physique, but as far as the FL goes: Nothing.

Yesterdays work-out:

4rounds of:

5 sec Flat tuck PL

15 sec L-sit

15 sec Adv. tuck FL

5 x 3 Hanging Leg Lifts.

Dead lift max test session: 1 rep 200kg (441lb).

Previously, when I was working dead lifts, I was stuck at 190kg. Even when I was only doing dead lifts for that particular work out. I think the thing limiting me was grip, maybe it was the bar I used?

Though it took all of the juice I had, and the form was hideous I still managed to pull 200kg. After a full work out, also this was my first dead lift for half a year.

Fryk

271109

warm-up

handstand

planche-leans

HeSPU 3/3/3/2

Inv. Push ups 10/10/8/8

XR PPP 3/4/4/4

SLS 6/6/6/6

Pull ups L 8/8/5/

back lever 12-13sek/10-11/8-10

Janda Sit-ups 25/25/20

My options was not to work out at all or to do something not after the schedule, I chose the latter. No weights, or other gym equipment available.

Just a set of rings outside (5 degrees celcius and damp) and a floor for the situps. Beats doing nothing by a mile though.