This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

College and GST

Started by Edoardo Cagnola, September 15, 2014 · 13 Replies · 332 Views

Edoardo Cagnola

This summer I started working on F1 and H1. Now I'll be starting to attend lessons again and some days I'll have to stay in class (seated!!) for 5 or 6 hours, without the possibility to move around that much a part form the little breaks that we have. How do you guys manage all that sitting? I've made great improvement in my lower body mobility and I don't want to go backwards just because I need to sit that much.

Any input and tip for all of you that spend a lot of time seated would be really appreciated :)

meras

I'm starting school as well and plan to do it before classes. Did the same for a year before work, it works out perfectly as the evenings are free.

Wolf with one Ear

If you think 5 to 6 hours of sitting is a problem, wait until you start a full-time desk job.  

Stefano Di Virgilio

I'm not an expert but I can tell you that I spend a lot of time studying (I started again one month ago, few days before starting F1+H1) and I haven't lost anything in terms of mobility, instead I'm getting better. I didn't start to train mobility a month ago , so I don't think that I'm improving only because I have just started these programs regardless the fact  that I have to stay seated a lot.

Jeremy Huston

Do a little limbering before your classes start and during breaks.  A few toe touches (pikes), standing hip flexors, twists, and deep squats will go a long way.  Then after classes run through any stretches that you couldn't sneak in during the day.

Edoardo Cagnola
meras said:

I'm starting school as well and plan to do it before classes. Did the same for a year before work, it works out perfectly as the evenings are free.

I have all my lessons in the afternoon, so I can keep working out in the morning too (which is awesome IMO :) ). 

 

I was thinking about doing a stretching/foam rolling session in the evening before bed so that i can loose up all the tense tissues (I get really tight in my hamstrings and hip flexors when I sit for a long time, but I guess that is pretty common)

Duff

I for one look forward to the grueling morning training sessions of college life :D. I don't like training in the morning, but it's a new challenge that I'm sure will make me stroger.

 

For flexibility and maintaining it, I have a habit: when I wake up, when I stand up from a long sitting session, I always limber. Bend forward, sides, back to keep the spine flexible. I also stretch the neck as it is one of my main tight areas.

meras
Duff said:

I for one look forward to the grueling morning training sessions of college life :D. I don't like training in the morning, but it's a new challenge that I'm sure will make me stroger.

 

Gruelling? Never! Especially during morning sessions. Personally, it took time to get used to morning workouts but now it's the only time of the day where no worry exists, it's a serene experience. After it I feel energized and ready to take on the day, whereas if I workout in the evening I just feel more tired and less likely to do more work. I also have the added benefit of being the only person in the gym, since everybody else is asleep at the time. 

Alexander Egebak

If you are well on your way in foundation you would not even worry about sitting down for such a short time. I had problems doing manual labor for 8 hours + standing and walking, and also sitting 8 hours +, but when I started on proper training *SPOILER*F1*SPOILER* I never had trouble anymore.

 

If sitting, standing, walking or lying down makes you tight it is not because you lose flexibility. You lose some mobility temperally due to simply being static. But as soon as blood flow increases you will regain it. You never get out of bed feeling extremely flexible anyway, you always need a moment to limber up. As you progress in training the stiffness one feels will minimize.

Washienko

Put your feet up on the chair while you sit.  Throw out all of your chairs at home.  Those two things helped me tremendously.

 

Do this and you will be holding mild stretches for an hour+ at a time, everyday.  In other words, you get 5 hours a day to stretch cause all you have to do is be present.

Edoardo Cagnola
Washienko said:

Put your feet up on the chair while you sit.

Do you mean on my chair or on another chair in front on me? :)
Washienko
EdStand said:

Do you mean on my chair or on another chair in front on me? :)

This is me after 14 hours of class.  Hope this clarifies. <iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/113455128@N06/15241280736/player/" width="75" height="75" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Edoardo Cagnola

Thanks Washienko! :)

What do you guys think about sitting in the hero pose? I'm doing this when I study at home. Basically I stay seated in the hero pose for 15-20 minutes than I get up, have a little walk, get back to it. Sometimes I switch to a full squat resting position. I don't know if this could be beneficial, but I heard Coach talking about Asian people and their really good mobility, so I figured out that sitting like them could help :) Opinions?

Washienko

Don't overthink it.  Just do what feels right.