This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Xiaopeng Form Check

Started by wheezer, September 15, 2014 · 7 Replies · 353 Views

wheezer

Hey guys,

 

I've been working on push-ups for a while, and in the meantime my Xiaopeng has gone from 2.5kg (5.5lb) up to 6kg (13lb).

 

It sounds like a lot of weight compared to what I've heard on these forums, and my deltoids are the weakest part of my body. This has got me suspicious and I'm wondering if I'm doing them right!

 

LateStarter@46

You are certainly making that look easy  :)

I would say that your arm needs to be in a vertical plane as much as possible rather than sweeping in front of you - you could do less turning to the sides. Also, maybe slow it down a bit for more control.

Adriano Augusto

wow, you do this too fast Wheezer! I usually do these more slowly than you and even more slowly compared to video course. I prefer don't use any momentum at all particulary in this exercise; it feels harder and more useful.

 

As for your technique, you don't do the "circle" that you've to do with the dumbell and your arm, you trace a diagonal line in front of you instead of a circle. Is difficult to explain to me in english, but I hope you get the idea. Also, seem that you hold the dumbell in "hammer grip" in front of you instead of supine grip. 

 

Check again the grip used in the video course.

 

Cheers!

Niklas03

I'll add my suggestions and try to expand on Adriano's comment:

 

- Try to move the dumbbell only in the saggital plane. Now you are flailing left and right. In the ascent point your arm straight forward and in the video you can rotate your right shoulder a bit more. As you descend keep the arm facing backwards at all times, this time rotate less with the shoulders. Simply put,  the torso rotates 90 degrees to one side in the ascent and then 180 for the descent. Minimize side to side movement of the weight. 

 

- When lifting the weight you want to externally rotate, supinate the arm, lead with the pinky. When you reach the top, rotate your torso 180 degrees, internally rotate the arm as much as possible and only then do you start the controlled descent. In other words, there's a small pause in the circular motion at the top if you look at it from the side.

 

- Use less momentum, control the weight.

 

Start with 2.5 kg and really focus on the descent with good posture and as much internal rotation as your shoulder allows for at this time.

thecolin

I think Coach said that Xiaopeng himself used 6kg.  ;)

 

Definitely slow it down. Using a wall as a guide can be helpful to keep the weight moving in a constant circle.

Duff

6 kg?! :eek:

 

I would slow it down, use a little less weight and focus on rotating at the shoulder rather than the hips and torso.

Adriano Augusto

Niklas, that's what I meant to say

Nick Roy

I only use 10 pounds myself and that is enough for me by the end of all my sets.
I think the key points for good xiapeng swings are
1: locked elbow
2: keep the arm pointed straight towards the wall>ceiling>rear wall, during the hip twisting. (there should be next to no lateral movement of the arm)
3: Keep the weight parallel with the floor at all time. Coming up perfectly supine, twist at the top and coming down perfectly level again.

Think of it as drawing a Halo around your right/left shoulder. A perfect swing from front to back, staying strict to that line. The only time it should waver from that line at all should be on the down swing. But you still need to fight to keep it strict.