This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Taking a Break

Started by neil gillies, September 15, 2014 · 12 Replies · 653 Views

neil gillies

Hi All,

I have been following foundation for 80 weeks now. I am on F2 for most movements and F3 for a couple and I am starting to feel a little beat up and achy in a few places, specifically my right shoulder, right knee and both wrists. I don't think it's anything a little time off won't sort, so my plan is to take a month away from the more intense work where I do plenty of stretching, iMs and foam rolling.

I was wondering if anyone here ever takes periodic extended breaks or extended deloads from training? Coach, if you are reading, is this a tactic you ever employ with your athletes? If so, are the results generally favourable?

Thanks,

Neil

Bro'

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/sport-injury-prevention/coach-sommers-program-injury-prevention-treatment/

 

So yes, he does do that. The only difference is he won't be here to tell you exactly when you're good to go again. So go along with your plan, work the iMs, stretch, try to maintain the moves that don't hurt you, work on lower level moves if they don't hurt (for instance ABH and HBH definitely won't make your bad spots worse), rest and come back better. Most importantly, don't train through pain, it's not worth it.

RJS

I wouldnt take a month off. Free yourself from training conpletely for one week, come back into a deload week, and continue where you left off.

Sensei JP

I have a friend who went through something similar.  He does everything: martial arts, figure skating, circus training and who knows what else.  He said he felt thin, with minor irritating aches starting to pop up.  He had a month-long trip to Europe planned, and so he consciously decided not to do anything physical during that month.  His only form of exercise was walking.

 

When he came back, he felt fresh and revitalized, able to take his training seriously again.  He also lost a lot of endurance and some strength, as expected.  His minor aches or whatnot were completely gone.  It was frustrating getting back to where he was, as that took about six or so weeks, but he says it was completely worth it.  Something to think about.

Gavin S

Before I was married I used to backpack for a month a year and would take this time off completely from training. I would do some stretching and walking but that was it. After a month I would feel completely physically refreshed with all niggles gone and the body feeling great. Not only that but my motivation to train was through the roof as well. It only took me a couple of weeks to get back to where I was when I picked it up again. It is totally worth it, particularly if you are feeling a little banged up.

 

Just remember to keep your nutrition on point during the month as protein will help in the healing phase.

JN12

How many times a week do you train? Maybe it is enough to decrease the number of workouts per week and allow you more recovery.

 

Also maybe you are advancing too fast without giving your tissues enough time to grow stronger. 

neil gillies

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

I train 3 days per week at present, Foundation and Handstand 1 only. I have been involved in competitive sports for most of my life (i.e. Ages 8 to 31) and I have come to the realisation over the years that my recovery abilities are not particularly good. An example of this was I was a competitive swimmer between the ages of 10 and 18 and I now think I was chronically overtrained for much of this time, while most of my swimmer friends just thrived on the volume and intensity, 2 even making it as far as the Olympics.

It's strange because I have been making concious efforts to progress slowly with my gymnastics training but I always seems to be fighting little niggles and stiff joints. I lifted weights for a number of years, becoming reasonably strong and didn't experience nearly the same number of issues, although I appreciate GST is a different beast. It's just a bit frustrating when my hope was that GST would make me feel better and stronger, not stiffer and weaker!

Anyway, let's see what some time off will do. Tempted when I come back to progress more slowly and may even consider 2 days between workouts rather than the current 1. All thoughts / comments welcome. :-)

Cheers again,

N

RJS

Hows the rest going

neil gillies

Hi RJS,

Thanks for asking. I ended up taking 3 weeks off before starting back up again. I began to feel much better after about a week off, although my shoulder still bothers me from time to time. I have been having osteopathic treatment and deep tissue massage on it and this helps a great deal.

In terms of strength, I didn't really gain or lose anything. Progress is still good on some movements and non-existent or sporadic on others as before!

Cheers,

N

RJS

good to hear on this. I am feeling like your original post, beat up after a straight year of F1 and H1. Thinking about a similar break since i am on the verge of F2...

jaz

I know from my experience that taking 3 weeks off twice a year (to 3 times) makes me feel really fresh and helps vanish adrenal fatigue

RJS

Day 2 for me, just walking daily, yoga. Feeling good.

RJS

Man ive been resting for 9 days bit it feels like eternity. I dont think incan make it a full month. Im hooked on that exercise game...