This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS PE1 Form check and advice

Started by EduWushu, September 14, 2014 · 6 Replies · 155 Views

EduWushu

So I'm quite tall and I don't know If anyone else is having same problem as me due to this but depending on the amount of inertia or positioning of arms I do on my way back Im able to stand up controlled or on the opposite I cannot completely shift my weight forwards (cause my legs are in the way) and I fall o destabilize backwards. So In this video the two first attempts were made trying to keep arms close to 90 degrees with the floor (just as the mastery video) and getting less inertia. As you see I cannot shift totally my weight to the front cause my legs are on the way (could this have as well any relationship with my poor compression capacity?? As i wouldnt b able to put my torso as close to the knees as to complete the shift?) Last two attempts were made putting arms completely back and using some momentum to help me on my way up. Might seem a small difference on the video but makes me guess If the second two are wrong or not.

 

 

 

Thanks

EduWushu

So today I tried to get less inertia with my arms, and cannot still get up cleanly that way, as I loose the balance due to the fact I cannot shift my weight to the front. Does anyone knoe If my first video was correct? 

 

Thanks

Murray Truelove

First video isn't too bad. You can try holding a light weight and using it as additional momentum to get into the bottom of the deck squat as you roll forwards.

Keegan

Couple tips that I have found have helped me with these:

1) lose the shoes-socks or barefoot will make these easier and smoother. If you have to wear shoes (because the facility you are doing then in mandates that shoes must be worn at all times then Vibram's Five Fingers are the best option, or if you can't afford those then try using a very thin mat (that is about the thickness of your sneaker soles).

2) as counterintuitive as it seems you do not want to kick your feet out away from you as you attempt to roll forwards into the squat, instead you want to keep your knees pulled tight to your chest throughout the entirety of the roll (backwards and forewards) so you stay as round as possible and can roll smoothly forewards onto your feet. You will feel this in your abs at first, but it's the best way to efficiently use the momentum created by your hips and legs falling back towards the floor to get you back onto your feet without having to swing your arms like crazy.

Hope this helps.

EduWushu

Very useful tips, thanks chaps!! I'll keep trying and post the progress when I see visible results

Joao Costa

Great tips. I've also been struggling with this exercise. In the first few attempts i couldn't even come out of the floor ! What I found helps is to keep the legs slightly open, it gives more leverage on the way up. As that becomes easy, i'm now working on using proper form. I like this exercise, it's simple but challenging.

LateStarter@46

Another tip, keep rolling forwards in a ball until you look like you are diving into the floor, so fingertips touch the floor before you come up.