Nick Roy said:That said, Eddie Tolan was only 5'7 and held the world record 100 meter dash of 10.4 seconds.....Usain Boly is 6'5 and he's only roughly 1 second faster
It may not seem like much, but a 1 second improvement is massive in the 100 meter dash. Any competitive sprinter would sell their mother to take a full second off their time.
Most worlds records are based on improved selection for the right body types and genetics, as opposed to better training. Michael Phelps has a set of very unique body proportions that make him extremely well suited to swimming.
Aside from size, it is demonstrated clearly and consistently that people will adapt much differently to an identical physical stimulus. It's even been suggested recently that some people's cardiac performance might get worse with cardiovascular training! If you put two people through an identical program, their results will simply not be identical.
While I absolutely agree that it's an excuse to think about these things on an individual, non competitive level. It's undeniably a factor in all levels of athletic endeavour.
I don't feel that this is something we should all be thinking and worrying about as I've often said. I commend the attitude that this stuff is irrelevant, but in doing so we cannot pretend that the reality is different than what it is.

