This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

a question about shoulder mechanics in a hs or im elements

Started by athleticandrey, September 12, 2014 · 1 Replies · 135 Views

athleticandrey

Hello everyone, 

I've read many threads in this h1 course concerned with shoulder mobility elements . and I got the impression that to really master them you need to learn how to dissociate shoulder movements from the movement of the spine. so I got a bit confused because I also read several threads on the gb forum that state that in order to be able to completely flex the shoulders ( like when you raise your arms overhead) the scapulas have to undergo upward rotation and that necessitates extension of thoracic spine.  Could anyone please elaborate on the last point. What actually happens to the T spine during  say dislocates or in a perfectly aligned handstand?

Micawberian

dislocates are for shoulder girdle mobility. You keep the t-spine flexed (ribs in) during the dislocates, the movement is definitely not from the spine. To flex the shoulder the scapula will upward rotate but it's independent of the spine.

Same with handstands, ribs in and the shoulder girdle is elevating and protracting.

 

I'd argue that your sucess with the mobility in h1 will hinge on your being able to lock the t-spine into a static position and making the movements from the shoulder girdle.