This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What is your warmup?

Started by Bobby Harmston, September 12, 2014 · 6 Replies · 285 Views

Bobby Harmston

Can I get some examples of what you all are doing to warmup for your training sessions? I have heard people say they do 1x60 of hollow rocks, arch rocks, chin-up holds, etc...I am curious if I can be doing a better job of preparing to do my workout and not losing too much of my mastery ability from previous elements.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

emilianop

Changes a lot through periods, lately for me is:

 

- 60" HBH

- 60" ABH

- 60" elevated plank

- 60" elevated straight legs table top

- 60" dead hang on bar

- various rolls

then on alternate days either:

- 60" horse stance (+10" each training session)

- laying on the floor, wrap my foot on a rubber band and do very slow circles with straight legs at the very extreme ROM (must be quite painful)

or

- 3x3 straight leg deadlift + 3x3 full squats with 100% BW barbell

- 3x5 from a forearm tripod, straddle legs, lower to lightly touch floor with tips, go back up

 

...quite a recent switch, so I'm still waiting to see if there's any reasonable return from this.

Kopavski

What i've read and been told on university, you dont need so much of warmup. 7-8min is enough.

The point is, to activate larger groups to properly warm up the body.

 

What i do, is some jump rope, jumping jacks or running (knee raises...) then do pushups, squats, jumping squats, planks, something dynamic for core and that's it, after that im warmed up, pulse elevated, a little shortness of breath and im ready to go.

 

I try to be active the whole time, body movin, keep your body movin :)

Mats Trane

As GST is shoulder girdle dominant I (learnt the hard way) always include all the HBP iM´s from F1 and F2 and also the band series from R1. I also either jogg or bicycle for 10 minutes to get the blood flow going.

Sisyphus

As I see it - there are three schools of thought on the forum regarding warmups. This isn't aimed at anyone in particular :).

  1. Watch the clock. Whatever you do, don't do more than 10 minutes. The warmup isn't work so don't treat it as such - it's a warmup. Any longer and you clearly have energy to burn; you should add a final endless pyramid set of RC/PE6 to failure aiming to end up twitching on the floor with crippled T Rex arms;
  2. Forget the clock. However long it takes you must keep mastery sets of pretty much any difficult exercise in your warmup. Not to do so is an inevitable recipe for stagnation, regression, injury and possibly even bankruptcy and/or eviction;
  3. Transcend the clock. Perform mastery sets of all exercises and their iMs within 10 minutes. Even if the actual possible time this can be achieved in exceeds 10 minutes. Avoid mediocrity by bending time GST style.

 

I myself am a clock watcher. In my 10 (sometimes 11 and, shhh don't tell anyone, sometimes 12) minutes I battle my reticent aging corpse through the following;

  • 10r Xiopeng forwards & 10r backwards w/5kg
  • 60s HBH
  • Some poorly structured hip mobility 'cos the left side doesn't quite do what the right side does...
  • 30s Elevated planche lean
  • 15r Elevated Bulgarian Rows (I'm having a trial seperation from RC/PE6 and it feels great - mastery be damned)
  • 15r Cossack squat variations 
  • 6r Reaching triangle pose (this really hurts done cold but hey everything does right?)
  • 10r each dislocate variation w/5kg
  • 15r PPP
  • 5r Jefferson curls at 50% BW (intermittently working it up to full BW) (by intermittantly, I mean hardly)

It works for me at the moment - there are some glaring omissions perhaps but there always will be IMO. Couple of years ago I would have probably gone home after all that and now its a warmup so something working!

Keilani Gutierrez

you crack me up, sysyphus. ^_^

Daniel Söderberg

My warmup is;

10-30min crosstrainer

Then working with intervall timer work 30s and 13s rest/go to next exercise. 3 laps of;

1. Jumping rope/combat rope

2. R1 shoulder work with rubber bands

3. Wrist prep from H1

4. Dislocate

5. SLS/lunches/twisting squat

6. Some hip/hamstring -stretch

7. Handstand stuff

 

This is not very time efficient per se but I really like spending lots of time in the gym so I don't mind :P. My body is pretty much prepared for whatever I throw at it :).