This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Should I start over?

Started by Bobby Harmston, September 12, 2014 · 8 Replies · 415 Views

Bobby Harmston

Hi all,

I began F1 when it first came out, I think early in the year 2013. I followed along diligently, doing everything as best a possible. But I realize now that I was taking more rest than I was supposed to, particularly on arch holds/rocks, hollow holds/rocks, and chin-up holds. However, once I completed the mastery sets, I moved on and have been progressing just fine ever since. Unfortunately, after just buying H1 this week, I realize that I may have missed mastering all the mobility, especially the t-spine and adductor/abductor work. Even though I am on the last levels of all foundation 2 elements and have just begun H1, I am at a crossroads. I listened to coach's webinar and both podcasts he did with Robb wolf earlier this year and now I am worried I wasn't hard enough on myself.

Should I start over from square one? I should mention that I have passed all of the final levels of F2 except for the tuck planche and bent arm half straddle planche double leg extension which I have been stuck on for 3-5 months now.

Coach Sommer

Start over.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

You could start over, considering you have doubts, that might be best. If you can do all the f2 movements and mobilities maintaining them as warmups could be a consideration but uhh the f1 are definitely worth focusing on

PrimalMove

I was questioning this as well. I started this time last year and was almost finished with most of f1. I got hurt messing around tricking with friends, gained roughly 35lbs sitting in class and eating. I listened to the podcasts too, got back on it and found the same issue. I was not hard on myself before. So im back on on all either pe1 or pe2 of everything except the SLS. I love it even more so now.

Bobby Harmston

Thank you Coach for confirming my instinct to start over, and to daniel and primalmove for your advice. It is a hit to the ego/mind more than the body, but I feel like if I can fix my hip and throacic mobility that I can un-lock some abilities and get closer to my goals of a press handstand and straddle planche. I am for sure not looking forward to having to do the arch holds and chin holds again, but this time I will do everything correctly, especially the mobility ROM, and come out the other side better than I am currently.

Again, thanks for the advice and support. This is a great community of like-minded people!

Alexander Egebak
Bobby Harmston said:

Thank you Coach for confirming my instinct to start over, and to daniel and primalmove for your advice. It is a hit to the ego/mind more than the body, but I feel like if I can fix my hip and throacic mobility that I can un-lock some abilities and get closer to my goals of a press handstand and straddle planche. I am for sure not looking forward to having to do the arch holds and chin holds again, but this time I will do everything correctly, especially the mobility ROM, and come out the other side better than I am currently.

Again, thanks for the advice and support. This is a great community of like-minded people!

I am impressed that you can just change like that! Respect!

Jeremy Huston
Coach Sommer said:

Start over.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Remember you can test for mastery of each element and progress through them.  I would guess that if you're strong and mobile enough for F2 with extra rest, you'll be able to pass out of a lot of elements with the prescribed rest.  If nothing else, I bet you can start at week 9 of each element.

Bro'

Yes, tex raised a good point. Start over, but don't forget to test each element. If you pass them (both PE and iM with no rest, as you realised now), onto the next PE.  :)

EDM

Similarly to you, I've started Foundation in Sep '13 and went through most of F1 & F2...

 

Now, coming back from summer vacation, I've also decided to start over again from F1's early PEs.

 

I thought it was a good way to progressively get back to full training intensity, and I being surprised to see how useful it is: I notice new details, my form, control and "awareness" of each exercise is greater, overall everything seems improved vs the first time.

 

I'm pretty sure you will experience the same and to me is a great way to restart, addressing any gaps or just confirm that you still master those PE (even more).

 

Should not be an hit to your ego, see it as an opportunity to get stronger.

 

 

byez