This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

working out every day since years - why is she not getting stronger?

Started by katlinchen, September 11, 2014 · 5 Replies · 245 Views

katlinchen

I guess some of you already know Meggin Penkal.

She was a L10 gymnast, did gym and cheer and college and now is a stuntwoman (she was on Stick It) and coaches gymnastics.

So she has been working out all her life and still trains almost every day. 
Why isn't she getting any stronger?
When I watch her videos, compared to GymnasticsBodies, she would be at the end of Foundation2 and hast mastered Handstand 2.

She can still do L8/8 skills, so she is strong enough for that. But if she was training her whole life - why isn't she progressing to advanced tuck planche, levers or more pull-ups?

Here are some vids who show her strength:

 



OPinion appreciated!
Jeremy Huston

My guess:  She doesn't have an interest in those strength skills.  She focuses her time and energy on different priorities.

ChrisUK

I mean, Handstand Wall Runs without a wall is pretty beast...  ^_^

 

Also, we only see the skills she shows us, who knows what else she is doing off camera? 

katlinchen
ChrisUK said:

I mean, Handstand Wall Runs without a wall is pretty beast...  ^_^

 

Also, we only see the skills she shows us, who knows what else she is doing off camera? 

That's true, she is really amazing and strong! I love her!

But she has a ton of vids and she in one video she says she can do 8 pull-ups on a bad, 10 pull-ups on a a good day. And there is a video when she tried Kip extensions, she could only go from her thighs to her knees, not all the way to her feet. But it was the first time she tried it.

Here it is:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOgbO7xIgR0

I don't really see why she isn't progressing...  maybe she just reached a stage where it would take a lot of time, detailed programming, adapted food and training methods to progress?

When I showed this to my coach, he said that it is quite usual to just don't progress after a certain point. For fully grown girls, it is usually 10 strict deadhang pull-ups, 10-15 90° leg lifts, a good tuck planche and a max of 5 kip extensions. For men it is usually a flag, back lever and short straddle planche,

Everything beyond this would take a lot of tailored training, rest and food and is really hard to reach without injury and to keep over years.

That would exactly match with Meggin...? I am confused.

 

Rayne-William

I think Coach Meggin is continuing to progress further. She just may not have the time to make videos about it. 

Jeremy Huston

I remember reading somewhere that the ONLY bent-arm-strength element in women's gymnastics is the hip pullover.  I bet she could do pullovers all day...