Will audio cues ever be added to the videos? I think it would be very helpful to have hints and tips during the videos, the description of each exercise is helpful but a little more would be great. Anyways just a thought thanks.
Ryan
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by rynokelly14, September 11, 2014 · 6 Replies · 179 Views
Will audio cues ever be added to the videos? I think it would be very helpful to have hints and tips during the videos, the description of each exercise is helpful but a little more would be great. Anyways just a thought thanks.
Ryan
The thing about cues is that they will confuse people too much. Some might benefit from it, some may be completely lost doing so many things at the same time. And some just do it right immediately.
Anyway, we also have the forums for the more in-depth discussions. Even though I would like cues too ![]()
Me personally i think more advice on each move would be very helpful. Sometimes the hints on the side aren't as in depth as I would like them to be, but I guess thats why using the forum for form check and advice are so helpful
I would say some audio cues would be a fantastic addition, simply because different people learn in different ways. I have taught people in various capacities, from tutoring to martial arts, and I've been fortunate to take some education training. The ideal approach when teaching a new skill follows DECR, or
Demonstrate (for the visual learners)
Explain (for the auditory learners)
Correct (making every movement perfect, especially important for kinesthetic learners)
Repeat
Obviously you can only do so much with an Internet video, but I think the ideal situation would be multiple camera angles and some auditory cues. The new introduction vids are great in this regard, even for no other reason than to compare two different athletes from different angles. I would have liked more auditory cues, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.
(I'll just say as an aside that most workout plans purchased over the Internet fail at this. I've tried several different ones before I found GB, and most talk a big game, have big flashy Youtube advertisements, but when you get the program you get a silent 5sec clip for each exercise. Some don't even have a written description to go along with it. I thrive on auditory stimulation, so this irritates me.)
Interesting approach Sensei JP and makes sense from my experience instructing people as well (also Martial Arts).
I would slightly change the wording though to make the acronym easier to remember:
Demonstrate
Explain
Adjust (or make adjustments to their form till it was correct)
Repeat
Then the acronym is DEAR, which is easier to remember. :-)
I did not invent the acronym, Keegan, I was taught it, but you are right. I'll pass that along the next time I see my instructor.
You can as a start look at the assesment videos with Kira. Orench Lagman comments on some basics of the first PE's and their iM's which can also be used in some of the later progressions.