This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mastery form check - SPL pe1 and SLS pe2

Started by Kara Beutel, September 11, 2014 · 13 Replies · 406 Views

Kara Beutel

Hey guys!

Here are the videos of my fifth set of 15 for both of these PEs (paired mobility is included too). I realized that I miscounted on the SPL and there's only 14, but I got all 15 for all 5 sets the second time I did the mastery week workout. Just want to check that form is good on these before I move on....

 

SPL (scap shrugs):

pword = spl.pe1

 

SLS (Cossack):

pword = sls.pe2

 

Thanks!!

Dave Wu

You'll need to film the scapular shrugs from a higher view point to be certain, but there seem to be a couple of reps that don't look like you are sinking all the way down.  There should be a line/crease on the center of your back where the shoulder blades meet.  See the last photo on the course page.

 

Everything else seems ok.  You might have better balance and control on the twisting squats by placing your feet further apart (just a little, not several inches).

Rayne-William

Looks good for so far. Keep up the hard work.

Kara Beutel

Thanks! I will see if I can get another video of the scap shrugs from a higher angle. :)

Kara Beutel

Swivel hips look okay?

Kara Beutel

Here's a video with a higher angle view: 

(Pword spl.pe1)
Kara Beutel

Thanks Zach :)

I noticed that it looked like my arms were bending slightly too, but I'm not sure why because I work hard to keep them straight. I do notice when I'm doing these that my arms rotate slightly on the reps, and I wonder if that make it look like they're bending?

I planning to do my next workout today, so is the consensus that these are all acceptable enough for mastery and I can move on? :)

TANSTAAFL

Yeah, this is one of those exercises you never know the arm bend is there until the video. I would try to focus exclusively on the shoulders and slow it down to the point where you are not moving that elbow at all. If you can do that, you have a starting point and can focus from there.

 

Also, as far as rotation, I believe you should be externally rotating as in a pushup at the shoulders and ideally you want to be hugging the floor with your hands. Imagine trying to bring the backs of your wrists together by forcibly moving the floor. This is not necessary for mastery, but might help with your problem, plus it will help with later elements.

Kara Beutel

Hey all, 

I did another set of the scap shrugs in my warmup yesterday, paying close attention to the elbows. No bending :) (Should have taken a vid, but forgot.)

So I moved on to testing the PE2. Planks were easy. I also really LOVED the iM that went with them, so I'm actually a tad sad that I think I passed this one pretty easily. Did a video (this was set 3 I believe, of the 5) to check that I did in fact master it. Thoughts?

Pword spl.pe2

Kara Beutel

Lol! Gotta get creative sometimes! :)

Kara Beutel

I'm baaaack!

So, tested the straight arm planks today and believe I also achieved mastery on them and the iM (again, LOVED this iM!) Verification that this qualifies as mastery?

Set 4 of 5:

(Pword = spl.pe3)

TANSTAAFL

Good News: Verification verified.

Bad News: Verified by myself.

Conclusion: Disregard verification.

Kara Beutel

Thanks both of you! Just looked at the next progression - 1arm planks? Oh boy....

Adriano Augusto

1arm planks are hard I can tell you, but are sooo rewarding in terms of scapular strenght. 

 

Nice progress there Kara ;) Congrats!