Taping Wooden Gymnastic Rings

Started by Alan Tseng, September 10, 2014 · 8 Replies · 10,979 Views

Alan Tseng

I recently got a pair of wooden gymnastic rings, however using them I get quite a bit of calluses.  I was wondering do anyone else use athletic tape on the rings and how it feels?

Jan Nordberg

I taped my plastic rings, since their feel wasn't right. Why not just try it :)

Coach Sommer

No. Do not tape wooden rings.

Callus separates the men from the boys. ;)

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

Alan Tseng

Okay, thanks, no tape it is!  Just out of curiosity why is chalk fine but athletic tape not fine?  (I have never used tape or chalk before I was curious the difference between them)

jules

You want to build hands that make you look like you use them!

jules

I still have some callouses left over from my gymnastic days. And when I get back on high bar/trapeze, the grow straight back.  Its part of the trade. If you don't wanna get wet, get out of the pool!

Blairbob

 Tape your wrists but there is no need as has been said to tape wooden rings. Plastic rings yes, if you want.

 

 Seriously, you are gonna wanna tape your wrists once you start using the false grip. That area will get raw fairly easily.

 

 As for the pads on your palms and fingers, you actually need to build up the callouses.

 

 

 I mean, I guess if you really wanted to, you could wear gloves. But no gymnast ever wears gloves (except maybe on strap bar).

Brisgym

Out of curiosity, what tape is used to tape plastic rings?  The fabric strapping tape?

Rayne-William
Brisgym said:

Out of curiosity, what tape is used to tape plastic rings?  The fabric strapping tape?

Typically, the white "Athletic Tape."