This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Does Greasing the groove work for foundation one

Started by hannibal2469, September 9, 2014 · 4 Replies · 335 Views

hannibal2469

Hi,

 

So as everyone else I have been struggling with a lot of exercises in foundation one. Does using GTG for any of the following exercises help speed up the progress or does it hinder proper progression. The exercises I am talking about are 

 

1. Pushups

2. Rows

3. HBH PE1

4. ABH PE1

 

Thanks

MT Nordic

It "may" help in some instances.  a few caveats:  it will risk overtraining if you do more than one exercise at a time; it will risk injury if your connective tissues are not ready for the increased load (so the protocols for the foundations course are important to follow); it will help most in cases where you need more neuromuscular efficiency and not just building strength; and it is minimally effective in improving muscular endurance (eg trying to lengthen your ABH PE1 or get to 60 on ABH PE2).  I like it for push ups.  Remember to use Pavel's actual protocol so as not to do too much.

Alessandro Mainente

I would avoid gtg way for basic exercises to increase max numbers of reps until you have a solid bases. Overuse injuries are a typical consequence of that approach

cheeto-man

i've been using gtg for push ups and it's helped - to a point. i'm up to 5x15 but lose tempo on my last 2 sets, i need to pause at the top for my final 3 or 4 reps. it's been like this for months and i've been doing push ups for over a year). any suggestions on moving forward?

 

i really want to have some success. i'm stalled in just about every exercise. i'm still doing the pre ABH. my back mobility is not good.

dynamo

If you're stuck in week's 1 - 4 of the 5, 10 and 15 Repetition Mastery Templates I think a little gtg will be helpful.  Just try to learn the movements with 1 or a few reps, but don't go anywhere near maxing out.  Outside the situations I mentioned, a little gtg can sometimes also be helpful, but in my opinion as your reps increase the value of gtg goes down.