Flexibility Routine

Started by mata_leao, June 20, 2009 · 4 Replies · 3,229 Views

mata_leao

I am planning on adding a stretching routine to my training that currently consists of basic strength Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat. Would it be better to stretch after my strength workout or could I stretch Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and still receive a great deal of improvement? These are the exercises I have organized so far:

Bridge on Floor: Static hold

Wall Walks: 10 reps

Wrist push-ups: 10 reps

Wall Extensions: 10 reps

Jefferson Curls: 10 reps

I have the relax into stretch program I could do in place of the list above, which one would be better overall? The one above seems to directly relate to the gymnastic program. Also, I'm interested in hearing opinions on joint mobility exercises before strength training.

Thank you ahead of time for any responses.

Felipe

Your program is more a prehab than a flex routine, and can be quite hard for the first month or two,

so you should do it only every other day 1/3 of the reps prior and 2/3 after you main training.

Remember that if you want improvement in stretching, you must always be properly warmed up.

You can do static passive stretching every day (remember proper warming up).

Dynamic stretching requires little warming up so you can do it lightly every morning.

Razz

It is not true that you have to be extremely warmed up before stretching. Personally i just do a stretching set in each position with a lighter intensity before i do the real stretching and it works perfect. Pavel says so aswell :mrgreen:

mata_leao
Your program is more a prehab than a flex routine, and can be quite hard for the first month or two,

so you should do it only every other day 1/3 of the reps prior and 2/3 after you main training.

Remember that if you want improvement in stretching, you must always be properly warmed up.

You can do static passive stretching every day (remember proper warming up).

Dynamic stretching requires little warming up so you can do it lightly every morning.

I planned on doing the relax into stretch after my strength training Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat and the other moves listed on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. I'm still working in a warm-up, possibly some jiu-jitsu movement drills such as ginastica natural or something like that.

It is not true that you have to be extremely warmed up before stretching. Personally i just do a stretching set in each position with a lighter intensity before i do the real stretching and it works perfect. Pavel says so as well

I have his book and DVD relax into stretch, I still need to get through the book but it seems simple enough. I will use his program until liquid steel™ comes out.

Felipe

I think warming up is relevant because I stretched for a month every night before sleeping when I was 15. It didnt make any difference.

Now I stretch only 1-2 times a week after my workout (in which I train every movement in the maximal ROM) and I actually make little improvements.

Splits are near, but they require weird exercise (like kicking at the maximum height) I can do only at home :-)