This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Best exercises to stretch psoas and quads

Started by P5yx, September 9, 2014 · 8 Replies · 290 Views

P5yx

For me (and quite a few other around here) HS/PE4 is impossible due to tight psoas and quads.

If I lay flat on the ground like in HS/PE4 I cannot hold my lower back on the ground.

I thought it would maybe a good idea to collect the best stretch exercises for the psoas and quads.

So please post what helped you.

Awesssss

Hip flexor stretch with the back leg Against a wall is pretty good for quads an hips.

Murray Truelove

Google: Kelly Starrett couch stretch.

I've made a lot of progress doing it a couple of times a day for a few minutes at a time.

Really tuck the tail and you should get a very strong psoas stretch.

P5yx
Murray Truelove said:

Google: Kelly Starrett couch stretch.

I've made a lot of progress doing it a couple of times a day for a few minutes at a time.

Really tuck the tail and you should get a very strong psoas stretch.

You talk about this video (

)?

I'll try it. I don't feel any pain in my working knee while performing the stretch... :)

Murray Truelove

This one:

 

about 2:00 in.

Awesssss
Murray Truelove said:

This one:

http://youtu.be/-ZX1QMTdAC4

 

about 2:00 in.

That's the hip flexor stretch with back leg against a wall I was talking about. It really tortures your quads the first time.

Murray Truelove
Paulizdaman said:

That's the hip flexor stretch with back leg against a wall I was talking about. It really tortures your quads the first time.

Yeah it's a good stretch. When I first started doing it I had to be quite far from the wall, I mostly feel it in my hip flexors though.

Keilani Gutierrez

psoas are in a dimension "underneath" the barrier of hip flexor tightness, i once felt it very faintly when i lifted my arms while doing the same stretch you're using, Murray, but i honestly don't know if it was my lower abs because i felt that stretching too. but it felt like an inbetween of a hip(like on my upper inner leg) and in my groin(in a similar, upper/inner leg fashion). but like i said, my hip flexors are still too tight to really say for certain. 

 

could have also been pectineus, idk. nothing compared to the gut wrenching feeling of doing Kelly starret's psoas smash. 

Murray Truelove

I'm not great a identifying exactly where I feel a stretch. I just wanted to highlight without the tucked tail you'll feel it mostly in the quads instead of the hips.

Using this stretch and engaging the glutes while I'm walking/standing has done a lot for my ATP.