Your opinion home gym vs commercial gym
Started by AsrarHussain, September 8, 2014 · 3 Replies · 2,967 Views
Your opinion home gym vs commercial gym
Just some basic thoughts: It really boils down to some personal preferences in a number of categories.
Convenience vs Community
Home distractions vs Gym distractions (ie too many people moving around etc)
Time-i)Home gym you can get down and go at your own pace but in a commercial gym for certain stations you are dependent on other's using the machine as well, and can really increase rest times above what you want. ii) Getting there and back costs time too.
Free or Basic Equipment Costs vs Paid monthly membership-buying your own equipment means you own it for life or until it breaks, using a paid membership means you have access until you no longer pay. Although the equipment tends to be of a higher standard in commercial gyms.
Anxiety- I get anxious in a gym, always feel like people are watching me and whatnot, and this is a very common issue. Working out at home is so much better for me and does not raise my stress levels, which keeps me performing better ![]()
Clothes-I workout a lot in just my workout shorts, so I don't have to worry about shoes or socks or shirts, and I would in a gym.
If you are doing a bodyweight style strength training program then very little equipment is needed, so much of the equipment at a commercial gym will just get in the way because most people there are doing body building or need a machine to tell them how to engage. I could do all my training with just rings and stall bars at home however, I have a normal gym membership which costs more than setting up the basics at home. I do use the dip machine and pull-up bars and one machine for arch-ups but I spend the most time in the few areas where there is open space or wall space for stretching, conditioning and handstands.
I´ve had a gym membership before, but didn't really go.
Didn't like the vibe + I didn't have to much to do in there.
Also a huge plus is I can listen to any kind of music at home instead of those terrible 'dance' tunes at the gym.