This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Skipping all the way to PE4 due to neck pain

Started by Alex Solis, September 7, 2014 · 7 Replies · 415 Views

Alex Solis

Hey everyone,

 

I mastered PE1 progression all right. I was on week 9 of PE2. However, I noticed that when performing these exercises, my neck hurts A LOT. I have a lower back injury and also I have absence of cervical lordosis (i.e. my neck vertebraes are missing their natural curvature or are "rectified"). I was wondering if I could skip all the way to PE4, AS LONG as I still do the mobility for PE2, and PE3 as part of my warmup? Is this advisable?

TANSTAAFL

You can do the headstand stuff modified as a shoulder stand either between two padded chairs or mats. This has been an approved sub for spine/neck issues. There was a post by Cole Dano a while back if ya wanna search it.

Murray Truelove
Alex Solis said:

Hey everyone,

I mastered PE1 progression all right. I was on week 9 of PE2. However, I noticed that when performing these exercises, my neck hurts A LOT. I have a lower back injury and also I have absence of cervical lordosis (i.e. my neck vertebraes are missing their natural curvature or are "rectified"). I was wondering if I could skip all the way to PE4, AS LONG as I still do the mobility for PE2, and PE3 as part of my warmup? Is this advisable?

This sounds like something a doctor should be answering.

However, you could try experimenting with head position. Making contact with the floor with where my hair line is, is much more comfortable than the crown.

Again; a doctor should be consulted.

Skipping ahead isn't encouraged but might be necessary in your case.

Craig Downey
Murray Truelove said:

This sounds like something a doctor should be answering.

However, you could try experimenting with head position. Making contact with the floor with where my hair line is, is much more comfortable than the crown.

Again; a doctor should be consulted.

Skipping ahead isn't encouraged but might be necessary in your case.

I have been right on the top of my head thinking it feels better for my neck, but now I checked the how-to video, and he was on his hairline. Is there a right or wrong here, or can you go by feel?

TANSTAAFL
Craig Downey said:

I have been right on the top of my head thinking it feels better for my neck, but now I checked the how-to video, and he was on his hairline. Is there a right or wrong here, or can you go by feel?

By feel. Coach has said that head position is not a focus for this PE. Whatever is comfortable.

Murray Truelove
TANSTAAFL said:

By feel. Coach has said that head position is not a focus for this PE. Whatever is comfortable.

+1

Alessandro Mainente

My advice is use a modified variation of the PE (for example to make the forearms handstand more challenging because my mobility wasn't so good i use a forearms handstand without supporting my head, the idea here is always elevate also on your elbows so that you can really balance on the forearns and only with them) or of necessary spend some time to master  the previous IM's. 

 

I suggest some strength exercises for the neck.

Javier

PE2 is proving to be a pain in the neck  :D for me too. At 36sx5 this week, it's too much for me. I've started trying to use two small stools (from ikea kid size) and that takes the pressure off the cervical spine. It's tricky though because the stools are just slightly too tall and I have to watch out not to tip over! I may try using PE4 instead, see what happens. At least then if I tip over I can roll out of the fall.