This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question about PE4, 5, and 6

Started by Awesssss, September 7, 2014 · 12 Replies · 292 Views

Awesssss

It says that you should use a weighted bar, however the athletes seem to be using a dowel (stick?). So what do I do? Also, I don't have a weighted bar that is 5lb+. I'll have to take a dowel and put some small weight plates on it. But this will make it harder on those exercises because of rom.

Can I use dumbbells instead?

Ravn

Dowel and plates, even larger ones, work fine. The large diameter forces you to enforce good rom. I'd think your arms would drift apart if you use dumbells.

Awesssss

But with PE4 where I have to lay my hands flat on the ground, wouldn't a plate have my hands some inches above the ground?

Jennifer

PVC pipe, stretchy band, hand weight.

 

Awesssss

Thank you Jennifer! :)

Another question: isn't it harder to do this exercise with less weight? At first glance, it looks like heavy weights will force your hands down...

Ravn
Paulizdaman said:

But with PE4 where I have to lay my hands flat on the ground, wouldn't a plate have my hands some inches above the ground?

The higher you're able to lift, the better. Therefore a plate isn't a problem.

Jennifer

Are you speaking of the iM or the PE?   For the PE the heavier weight will be harder to keep the bar/weight just off the ground.     For PE4 there is a lot going on if you pay attention to the focus points.  ;)

Paulizdaman said:

 At first glance, it looks like heavy weights will force your hands down...

Awesssss

Wait a minute guys! I am talking about PE4 - Supine Floor Handstand Flexion.

In this drill, the athlete is having his hands on the ground. The focus points basically tells you to engage PPT and slight scapular protraction.

I'm thinking a heavier weight will become easier, or am I not understanding?? Because his hands are not in the air!?

Awesssss

Thank you so much! :) I was very confused, but I understand now.

mitko

Regarding the heavy weight - it will make it somewhat easier to stretch your shoulders in to flexion but it will make it harder to keep your ribs pulled in and down.

 

I personally like to hold weight plates in my hands. The arms drift apart only if you let them (do be careful for that though).

Awesssss
mitko said:

Regarding the heavy weight - it will make it somewhat easier to stretch your shoulders in to flexion but it will make it harder to keep your ribs pulled in and down.

 

I personally like to hold weight plates in my hands. The arms drift apart only if you let them (do be careful for that though).

Apparently, you're not suppose to let your hands rest on the floor, but only slightly brush them.

mitko
Paulizdaman said:

Apparently, you're not suppose to let your hands rest on the floor, but only slightly brush them.

Of course. It has been confirmed by Sommers a couple of times.