This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Yet another question about Deck Squats

Started by Andy K, September 7, 2014 · 4 Replies · 139 Views

Andy K

Hi, I'm fifty-eight years old and have spent most of my adult life at a desk. Consequently My mobility in my hips and ankles is poor. In particular, I can't squat to much below parallel. I can't get anywhere near a full ass-to-grass squat. So I'm wondering whether I have any business trying to master the Deck Squat at this stage.

 

Would it be better to spend a month or two (or however long it takes) getting a good ass-to-grass bodyweight squat, then progressing to working on my Deck Squat, rather than trying to master a Deck Squat right away with a body that is lacking in the fundamental flexibility required to achieve it?

john_c

I think you would be better off doing deck squats with reduced ROM ie using a mat to roll  onto the ground. That will get you used to the movement and you can progress to a full deck squat in time.

 

There are plenty of threads on the deck squat so have a look at them for other hints and tips.

Andy K

OK many thanks

Michael Taylor

An atg squat will help with deck squats....and deck squats will help with atg squats.

It would be better to work on them both together. Use squat mobility work to warm up for a modified deck squat (raised to a mat or hand assisted, whichever works best)

Mobility was always my issue with this exercise. By doing it this way and with a progression scheme for assisted deck squats, I achieved the full movement and eventually mastery

Andy K

That is most encouraging!