I'm a martial artist, and I'm doing GST primarily to improve my art. My current goal is to be able to hold my kicks high, but I can't find too much information on how to do this.
Currently I'm just holding my leg out as high as I can at various angles and position, holding for 5sec or a cramp, whichever comes first. I then do 3-5 sets for each kicking position. After a month of this, I've started cramping less, I can hold my leg lower for far longer than before, but my max height has remained the same. I'm not sure, is there anything else I can or should be doing? Does anyone have any experience developing this type of static-active flexibility? Or perhaps the big question, will going through the Foundation courses help improve this?
I'll just mention in passing that I can easily kick over my head even without a warmup. I'm close to both the front and side splits, and if I round my back I can get my head to touch the ground in a pancake. The flexibility isn't an issue. I have long, heavy legs, though, which may be holding me back. I've played with this skill before, but now it's my current focus, and I'd welcome any tips or resources anyone has. Thanks.
