This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Xiaopeng HBP/PE 2 iM question

Started by Javier, September 6, 2014 · 3 Replies · 322 Views

Javier

When I attempt this iM my shoulder is not rotating smoothly. The joint pops slightly when I almost reach the vertical on the initial upward motion. This is with no weight at all as I was familiarizing myself with the exercise ahead of my workout next week.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice to control the joint throughout the movement?

Thanks

EduWushu

Hi Javi,

I´m currently experiencing that but probably due to different reasons. I have had (and still I´m dragging a bit) an impingement on my right shoulder, with supraspinatus and biceps tendon tendinitis as a result. At the beginning whenever I was trying to do Xiaopeng when going backwards I was experimenting that popping or clicking you mention, which was not painful, but was at least suspicious. I found out that trying not to force too much the external rotation of the shoulder when going backwards solved the clicking for me. So instead of really actively externally rotate my shoulder I relax it a bit and that solved the issue. Donn't know if this will work with you thoug. Give it a try and tell me

 

PD : I must say anyway that Ive been as well very strictly working on my overall flexibility, putting emphasis on the shoulder girdle due to my problems. That might help as well :)

~Atticus
Javier said:

When I attempt this iM my shoulder is not rotating smoothly. The joint pops slightly when I almost reach the vertical on the initial upward motion. This is with no weight at all as I was familiarizing myself with the exercise ahead of my workout next week.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice to control the joint throughout the movement?

Thanks

Make sure you're doing the movement correctly.

 

There is a certain movement that I've been doing for quite a few months that I recently discovered I was doing slightly wrong, and it made a world of a difference correcting it.

 

Scrutinize the video one more time and try to see if that's exactly how you're doing it.

 

The shoulder is not supposed to pop at all if you're doing it correctly.

Javier

Thanks for the advice from both. I have found that doing the movement with weight helps prevent the popping. Especially in my left shoulder.

It's a bit weird because I had a tear in the supraspinatus tendon that gave me problems some years ago in the left shoulder, yet I find it's the right that's giving me more problems with this movement and the windmills. I really have to take care in controlling the movement or it pops and I wouldn't like to cause myself a problem I didn't have before with these moves.

I had to dial down the weight on the xiapengs. I started with 5 pounds, which on my Monday workout was fine, but on Friday it was much too much. I'm planning on going directly with 2-3 pounds next time and work up from there. I believe 5 pounds is what's needed for mastery. Is that correct?