This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question about deck squats

Started by Awesssss, September 5, 2014 · 10 Replies · 275 Views

Awesssss

Hello guys.

My question is: what's the point of deck squats? I'm not hating, just very curious.

I feel like a lot of momentum is involved in this exercise.

Jeremy Huston

You have to start somewhere :)

 

Ankle, hip, quad, glute flexibility.  Leg strength.  And it can get pretty cardiovascular too.

 

(And to get everybody else at a "normal" gym to look at you like you've gone crazy)

Wes Tan

Well were do we start?

 

Let's break it down.

 

A deck squat performed correctly will see full dorsiflexion of the ankle, full knee flexion, full hip flexion, and full flexion of the lumbar spine achieved. This will provide a very good stretch to the Achilles and patellar tendons, sacrolumbar fascia all whilst under load. Then the extensor muscles Wil have to engage from a lengthened position and return the body to an upright position.

 

I teach adult classes and we use deck squats every session as part of our warm up and it has taken some very fit individuals some 6 months to achieve the deck squat. Feet together throughout, no splaying of feet or knees and smooth action and roll. Some simy didn't have full range of flexion in the above joints as well as ni strength in that range. It may feel simple to some as it should if the body is in a good state. They are great to maintain full flexion and strength in those ranges of those joints.

 

I don't see the rocking as momentum, but rather another variable to control. Key is not to let the rock control you but keep total control throughout I.e. active control of PPT etc.

 

I know I achieved an increase in my standing jump from doing high volume deck squats alone. Then I added jumping to them and wow.

 

The deck squat is such a beautiful example of strength and mobility in one fluid movement. So simple it's easy not to see.

 

I hope that helps you see the deck squat a little differently.

 

Best wishes,

 

Wesley

Rayne-William

It is a good back massage also.

Mark Collins

Watch a floor routine and you see deck squats in practice. It would look pretty funny if a gymnast did and handstand to forward roll and couldn't stand up without using their hands.

As Wes stated they are a beautiful example of strength and mobility. They also are a great assessment tool as they highlight many problem areas.

mcneuen
Wes Tan said:

I teach adult classes and we use deck squats every session as part of our warm up and it has taken some very fit individuals some 6 months to achieve the deck squat. Feet together throughout, no splaying of feet or knees and smooth action and roll.

Interesting, Wes.  The video shows knees and feet slightly apart.  Not splayed but not touching.  I just tried with your standard and needed to go back to a slight mat-assist, even though I can do them fine with a little spacing.  I think this will be my new favorite warm-up.

mcneuen
Mark Collins said:

It would look pretty funny if a gymnast did and handstand to forward roll and couldn't stand up without using their hands.

This keeps making me chuckle.

Jeremy Huston
mcneuen said:

Interesting, Wes.  The video shows knees and feet slightly apart.  Not splayed but not touching.  I just tried with your standard and needed to go back to a slight mat-assist, even though I can do them fine with a little spacing.  I think this will be my new favorite warm-up.

I find this to be a common theme throughout Foundation and Handstand.  There's a mastery standard for moving on to the next element, but it's not truly mastery of the skill.  I hesitate to use the phrase "Good Enough," but that's really what it is.

Sensei JP
tex0413 said:

I find this to be a common theme throughout Foundation and Handstand.  There's a mastery standard for moving on to the next element, but it's not truly mastery of the skill.  I hesitate to use the phrase "Good Enough," but that's really what it is.

There's often a carry-over effect from the advanced skill to the less-advanced skill.  For example, I have found that my Bent Hollow Body Rocks (FL/PE2) have gotten much smoother and more effortless as I've progressed through PE3 and PE4.  It would likely take much longer to get that same proficiency if I only worked the PE2.

 

On topic, after three months, I've finally started to get perfect workouts of deck squats.  It started with one good rep, then a couple, then a solid set, and now finally I'm nailing every one in every set.  I started out hating these, as I can do a SLS if I have a counterweight, and I couldn't do the first PE1.  Now I love them.  I see them as a badge of honour, something I had to struggle with, something that once seemed impossible and now I can do with minimal effort.

mcneuen
tex0413 said:

I find this to be a common theme throughout Foundation and Handstand.  There's a mastery standard for moving on to the next element, but it's not truly mastery of the skill.  I hesitate to use the phrase "Good Enough," but that's really what it is.

Maybe "mastery" should be called "sufficiency"

Awesssss

Alright, I get it now. Thanks.