This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Cannot do 1 Korean Dip

Started by law123, September 4, 2014 · 15 Replies · 313 Views

law123

What's up with this one.  Granted, I'm trying to do it on a weight bar suspended in between two rings, but I can't even do one.  I've never done dips at this angle, but it seems like a crazy jump to go from the single p-bar dip to the Korean dip without any progression in between.  Thoughts?

law123

That is a tremendous load on the front delts!!!

Rayne-William

Didn't you start a thread where you mentioned you experience shoulder pain doing single bar dips?

 

If you have a shoulder weakness showing up with single bar dips you are going to have that same shoulder weakness amplified with Korean dips.

 

There is a progression in between single bar dips and korean dips. It called "Undergrip single bar dips."

law123
GoldenEagle said:

Didn't you start a thread where you mentioned you experience shoulder pain doing single bar dips?

 

If you have a shoulder weakness showing up with single bar dips you are going to have that same shoulder weakness amplified with Korean dips.

 

There is a progression in between single bar dips and korean dips. It called "Undergrip single bar dips."

It wasn't really shoulder pain, it was a grinding feeling of the upper humerus on the inner-side of the front deltoid.  But it doesn't really "hinder" anything per se.  Just kind of something for me to keep an eye on.  But I did the overgrip and undergrip single bar dips with ease.  But the Korean dips are ridiculous.  I don't know if it's cuz I'm 180+ lbs. or what.  Maybe it's cuz I was on a rod in between the rings?  I'll go to the gym and give it a try.

Rayne-William
law123 said:

It wasn't really shoulder pain, it was a grinding feeling of the upper humerus on the inner-side of the front deltoid.  But it doesn't really "hinder" anything per se.  Just kind of something for me to keep an eye on.  But I did the overgrip and undergrip single bar dips with ease.  But the Korean dips are ridiculous.  I don't know if it's cuz I'm 180+ lbs. or what.  Maybe it's cuz I was on a rod in between the rings?  I'll go to the gym and give it a try.

I take it you are just going to ignore your body and Coach Sommer?

 

I guess your ego is too big for your own good.

law123
GoldenEagle said:

I take it you are just going to ignore your body and Coach Sommer?

 

I guess your ego is too big for your own good.

Relax, it's not an injury.  There's no need for derogatory remarks.

howens

Coach Sommer

01 Sep 2014

law123, on 01 Sept 2014 - 3:05 PM, said:

I have plenty of shoulder strength, but it feels like it "gives out" so to speak towards the bottom of the movement and has sort of a grinding sensation. Should I aim to keep it "tighter" or what?

I disagree. If you had the necessary shoulder strength, you would not be having this issue. ;)

Slow down. Focus on increasing your iM strength and work with a reduced ROM until your shoulder strength/mobility increases.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

This was followed by a request for a video to help assess the problem.

Jon Douglas
law123 said:

Relax, it's not an injury.  There's no need for derogatory remarks.

Yes, please keep civility in disagreement everyone :)

law123
Jon Douglas said:

Yes, please keep civility in disagreement everyone :)

Thanks.

LateStarter@46

Doing them on rings will give you a high degree of instability which will make learning the technique difficult. You should have better results on a bar across a squat rack.

Ravn

They're not terribly difficult once you 'get' them. Do them on a fixed bar, and use a good deal of momentum, then they're not really a problem. I would make sure that your shoulders are comfortable with the preceding progressions first, however...

law123

Come to think of it, I did do a few about a year ago on a bar.  I think it's the instability on the rings.  Wish I had a single bar at home.  Guess I will have to run to the gym.

DieKatze

i imagine it to be real hard on rings, because you are forced to push down in a perfect angle or otherwise your rings are moving to the back of your body. if you want to clear the bar with your glutes you have to push your body forward though. this would resemble more a mixture of a perfect RTO (90°) dip and a real korean dip. its certainly not impossible but much harder that a regular straight bar korean dip.

Kasper Stangerup

I also found that single bar dips (both versions) were not enough for me to go straight to Korean dips.

I discovered that if the bar was not fixed (as in "not able to rotate around its own axis") I would rotate almost parallel to the ground and fall off at the bottom of the movement. I did some bottom position pendulum swings to get used to the feeling and the balance of the movement, as well as negative and jumping reps. After a few weeks of this It wasn't that hard to complete a good rep. 

 

Now I love Korean dips. I feel that they are exactly what I need in order to nail the bent arm planche holds (which are a little further down the road for me).

law123
Kasper Stangerup said:

I also found that single bar dips (both versions) were not enough for me to go straight to Korean dips.

I discovered that if the bar was not fixed (as in "not able to rotate around its own axis") I would rotate almost parallel to the ground and fall off at the bottom of the movement. I did some bottom position pendulum swings to get used to the feeling and the balance of the movement, as well as negative and jumping reps. After a few weeks of this It wasn't that hard to complete a good rep. 

 

Now I love Korean dips. I feel that they are exactly what I need in order to nail the bent arm planche holds (which are a little further down the road for me).

NIce!  Good work.

law123

Whoa.  Huge difference on a stationary bar.  Looking up to the ceiling, like during a barbell squat, in the ascension phase of the dip helps too, especially if you have long legs.