This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Alternatives to Deck Squats

Started by Dill Gromble, September 1, 2014 · 4 Replies · 177 Views

Dill Gromble

Hello all,

 

   So I have a rather embarrassing problem that I was looking to get advice on by someone who is qualified.  I started F1 a while back and within 2 weeks had to stop because of injury.  Probably not the type of injury that you hear people talking about commonly.  

 

   I have the misfortune of having a slightly longer than average tail bone.  This is mostly imperceptible, except when doing deck squats in particular.  I had some fitness background, but I didn't want to miss out on any endurance or mobility to I decided to start everything on block 3 of element 1.  After my first SLS workout I had some minor to moderate bruising over my tailbone which was fairly uncomfortable but I tried not to let it get to me.  On my second SLS workout I injured this area very badly, causing a cyst under the skin and forcing me to alter the way I sat and walked for a few weeks.

 

  The area is fully healed now and I'm ready to start F1 again, but I'm not willing to go through this injury again.  Also after having spoken with a doctor I was told that since a cyst formed that if I injure myself in this way again I may have to have surgery. 

 

  I was hoping that someone could provide a suitable substitute for deck squats that didn't sacrifice any of the ankle mobility or endurance that comes along with being able to do a mastery set.  I just need something that doesn't involve repetitive rolling over the bottom most spine.

 

  Also, are there any exercises later in any of the progressions that I should be cautious of because of this?

 

Thanks in advace

 

 

 

Edoardo Cagnola

I had a similar problem with FL/PE2, but that was just because that day i had limited equipment and I thought that a towel on the floor was enough to perform the exercise... Well,it was not

Cole Dano

Padding is the best option. Mats, folded towels, or even just make a foam donut to go around the tailbone.

LateStarter@46

Deck squats whilst astride two mats with a gap between them might work.

Mark Collins

I have a really good gymnastic mat that was cut from where the gymnastic floor routine is performed. It is so comfortable. You may need more PPT to tuck the tail bone under so it does not contact the floor as much.