This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Single Bar Dip Shoulder Pain

Started by law123, September 1, 2014 · 6 Replies · 252 Views

law123

I feel my humerus "rolling" across the interior portion of my front deltoid when doing the reverse grip bar dips.  It feels kind of like a pinching/scraping.  This happened once when I was in the deep portion of the iron cross.  I did not like how it felt, so I quit doing the iron cross for a while.  Is this normal?  It's a little sore now when I rotate my arm in a circle.  I do not want to rip a muscle or the labrum.

Cole Dano

Not normal. 

 

Wait until the pain goes away before attempting them again.  

 

These shouldn't be that much of an issue for you, so it sounds like there is a weak link that needs to get worked out here. 

law123
Cole Dano said:

Not normal. 

 

Wait until the pain goes away before attempting them again.  

 

These shouldn't be that much of an issue for you, so it sounds like there is a weak link that needs to get worked out here. 

I have plenty of shoulder strength, but it feels like it "gives out" so to speak towards the bottom of the movement and has sort of a grinding sensation.  Should I aim to keep it "tighter" or what?

Coach Sommer
law123 said:

I have plenty of shoulder strength, but it feels like it "gives out" so to speak towards the bottom of the movement and has sort of a grinding sensation.  Should I aim to keep it "tighter" or what?

I disagree. If you had the necessary shoulder strength, you would not be having this issue. ;)

Slow down. Focus on increasing your iM strength and work with a reduced ROM until your shoulder strength/mobility increases.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

law123

It's just a weird thing that popped up recently.  I've had the strength to do ring dips, muscle ups, and cross work for quite a while.  I wanted to know if anybody knew why the top of the humerus would rub like that on the front deltoid and if this can be reduced by staying "tight."  Though for a muscle up, one has to roll through that position.  I just don't want to damage it.

Coach Sommer

- Let's start our evaluation of possible causes by your posting videos for review.  Please post the following; undergrip single bar dip, ring dip, MU and your cross work.

 

- If the quality of all of those check out, then we can productively move forward with supplemental evaluation.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jason Stein

Coach Sommer-

 

Your request for video of specific F exercises as a diagnostic tool, while obvious, is genius (as most genius things are), and I hope the trend continues.

 

best,

jason