Chin hang for 60s was difficult, far more so than any pull-up variations I've done in the past. I could do overhand pull-ups with +45 lbs., pike behind the neck pull-ups, etc. Why does L1 60s Chin Hang seem a little too much? I could do the 60s, but my elbows needed a little longer to recover from the pressure in between sets.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Why chin hang 60s harder than pull-up variations?
Started by law123, September 1, 2014 · 10 Replies · 466 Views
Probably because chin hangs is pure endurance of a contracted muscle. Few people have had the determination required to deal with these in a productive manner prior to F1, you and I included. Hence the perceived hardness: We are noobs
Ravn said:Probably because chin hangs is pure endurance of a contracted muscle. Few people have had the determination required to deal with these in a productive manner prior to F1, you and I included. Hence the perceived hardness: We are noobs
Well, I'm glad I stuck it through and did the 60s holds. I'm not really sore now. Maybe I'll do another round before going on to the next level and reduce the rest time in between.
The chin hangs are all about elbow conditioning ( at least that's what I've gathered from reading Coach's posts and listening to him via podcasts and the webinar) to prevent people from developing overuse injuries with later more advanced RC progressions. The fact that you felt them so much in your elbows may point to such a weakness in your structure.
Also, if you had to take extra time between sets for recovery you cannot claim mastery and cannot move on to the next progression.
Don't count time in your head. Use a metronome, set at 60 beats per minute, for time counting.
GoldenEagle said:Don't count time in your head. Use a metronome, set at 60 beats per minute, for time counting.
Who was that to? I use an online timer :-)
Specifically? You.
Generally speaking? Everyone.
I use a metronome app on my phone.
Think of the total time under tension - it's huge compared to a set of normal chinups. It takes pretty impressive endurance to master these with only 30s in between sets.
red1392 said:Think of the total time under tension - it's huge compared to a set of normal chinups. It takes pretty impressive endurance to master these with only 30s in between sets.
It seems rather advanced to me. I wonder how many of the calisthenics folks and even gymnasts would handle this, even the ones who already can climb the rope, do muscle ups, levers, etc. But I'm sure that the increased work capacity will make all of the other more "advanced" exercises far easier. I bet it pays huge dividends even for the 1 arm pullup.
It's just a matter of working the pattern + endurance IMO.
I know a guy who's a plumber by trade. He can't even do one full ROM pullup, yet he beats me at chin hangs and I can do 10 pullups. He doesn't do any strength training per se, but he carries a lot of weight in the 45 degree flexed arm position all day long. This summer we tried it and I got 1:20 or so and he got around 1:35. And I know I can do 4x48(I tried once for fun).
That's so cool how the body adapts to meet demands like that. That strength is just a part of daily life!