This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Broken stall bar rung.

Started by Mark Schoenhard, September 1, 2014 · 15 Replies · 254 Views

Mark Schoenhard

I broke a rung performing vertical pike walks.  Dowels are 1 3/8" x 36" hardwood from Home Depot, but I think they sent me poplar.  I should of sent them back immediately, but wanted to get project completed.  Would Hickory dowels be a good enough replacement?  Thank you.

Jeremy Huston

This is my fear.  I literally built stall bars yesterday 1 3/8" x 24" poplar to use this morning on the pike walks.  I intentionally made them narrow to aid their strength (and get 3 rungs out of the 72" section).  They creaked and moaned throughout but no cracks.

 

Which rung broke (hands or feet)?  How close together were your hands and feet at the time?  I'm 5'11" 185 lbs -- yourself?

Mark Schoenhard

Broke out at the feet which were two rungs below hands.  I am 5' 6" and 150 lbs.  Rungs are spaced 5 1/2" on center.  I have ordered four oak dowels to replace the rungs used for pike walks.  Over time I will replace others or wait until GB releases stall bars.

Jeremy Huston

Hmmmm.... 23% heavier and 8% taller = 32% more torque.  But my rungs are 33% shorter.  So I'm probably right on the hairy edge of breaking.  Looks like I should order some oak too.

Mark Schoenhard

Good luck!

Cole Dano

It may be counterintuitive but a laminated bar is better than solid. Sometime you'll see the option of glued, it's usually two halve glued together, sometimes there are three joints. If this is an option go for it.

Mark Schoenhard

Laminated was my original search, but the cost is too high.  Will have to give oak a try.  Thank you sir.

Ben G

For what it's worth white oak is about 50% stronger in bending strength than poplar. 

 

I'm 6'2, 200 lbs and was going to go with 1 1/4" steel pipe.  It has a load capacity of 919 lbs at a 3' span which should be plenty.  It's $44 for a 21' section at the local steel mill and they'll cut it into 3' sections for me.  I thought I'd get three 21' sections cut into eighteen 3' bars and a 5' section to use as a weighted bar. 

 

I have a question on the stall bars, are the bars supposed to rotate within the frame, or are they fixed (glued)?

Cole Dano

Bars should not rotate.

MT Nordic

the rungs are glued or screwed to keep them from spinning within the frame.

 

oak dowels are typically the standard for stall bars, esp at 3' span.

 

i'm only 150 lbs, but mine have tolerated a lot without breaking.

Mark Schoenhard

Thanks for the responses.  I am glad I only screwed dowels in for this very reason.  Trying to replace a glued in rung would have been challenging and a mess.

Jeremy Huston
Mark Schoenhard said:

Thanks for the responses.  I am glad I only screwed dowels in for this very reason.  Trying to replace a glued in rung would have been challenging and a mess.

Agreed.  I considered gluing mine (would probably prevent some of the creaking) but decided on making them replaceable.  At work we call this "Engineer for Serviceability".

richardstone

It is also important to run the grain direction correctly for maximum strength. Think of a correctly fitted wooden handle on a spade or garden fork. You want the long grain running in the direction of the pull or force, so near the bottom of stall bar place the long grain facing out, at the top place the long grain up and down.

 

Hope this makes sense.

Mark Schoenhard

It does and is an important detail.  Thank you.

Jeremy Huston
richardstone said:

It is also important to run the grain direction correctly for maximum strength. Think of a correctly fitted wooden handle on a spade or garden fork. You want the long grain running in the direction of the pull or force, so near the bottom of stall bar place the long grain facing out, at the top place the long grain up and down.

 

Hope this makes sense.

Do you have any pictures to demonstrate this?

richardstone

Hi, Not too sure how to embed an image but here goes.