This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Quick Deload Question

Started by Sensei JP, September 1, 2014 · 6 Replies · 246 Views

Sensei JP

This week is my deload week.  I've noticed that the deloads are generally half of your maximum volume.  So when you do 5x60sec of something, you do 5x30sec for the deload.

 

My issue: I spent the entire month trapped on 4x12r for RC/PE1.  I was either too tired or my form suffered too much by the end to even think of adding reps.

 

My question: Should I follow the deload as written in the program (5x8r), or do something less (4x6, as that's half volume? 5x6?)

 

I'll just add that it's my grip strength that fails first 95% of the time.  My grip/pulling strength is woefully undeveloped compared to the rest, so I really want to get this right so I can improve this obvious deficiency.  

ChrisUK

If you are getting too tired from 4x12r and form is breaking down it sounds like you are going close to failure each time you do it. This is an indicator that you are working above the sets and rep range that you should be, and personally I would scale it down after the deload week a couple weeks. 

 

Here is what I would do: Do the prescribed deload week for 5x8r, and if form and grip is not up-to-standard then go back a few weeks in the template instead of continuing to do 4x12. If the deload is up to standard then still go back 2 weeks from 4x12r to 5x9r (week 7) and work up to week 9 again, this way you are giving your grip (which may be fried) a chance to recover that is longer than just the deload.

 

Hope that helps,

 

Chris. 

TANSTAAFL

Obviously what Chris said as Coach is featured on the like button.

 

If things still don't work out, you could try the 10r template for a micro at wk9.

Sensei JP

Thanks for the suggestions.  It's frustrating because the first set set is easy, the second and third feel more like work, and the last six or so reps of the final set I either have to give up or cheat to finish, and it's been this way for a month.  I've been looking forward to this deload as a chance to see how my body responds.  Thanks again.

Jeremy Huston

All good suggestions so far.  Additionally, instead of having your rear hover off the ground, actually set your bottom on the ground during the whole rep.  Then it's basically a ring assisted sit up.  Run this through the 15r template and then come back to PE1.

Jon Douglas
Sensei JP said:

Thanks for the suggestions. It's frustrating because the first set set is easy, the second and third feel more like work, and the last six or so reps of the final set I either have to give up or cheat to finish, and it's been this way for a month. I've been looking forward to this deload as a chance to see how my body responds. Thanks again.

Don't stress :) deload is a chance both to recover physically and mentally, to clear your habit of stopping at a particular point or rep count.

Sensei JP

An update:

 

I took ChrisUK's advice and scaled back for two weeks.  This still didn't feel completely right, so I essentially spent the entire month doing Week 7 and did Week 8 deload.  Today I tried Week 9 again, 4x12, and aced it.  I didn't feel (muscle) discomfort until the end of the third set, and I finished the last set with more left in my tank.  I now have hope to master this stubborn exercise this month.

 

Sometimes a step back is the best way to go forward.  Again, I couldn't do a single workout of 4x12, and a month of working at a lesser intensity pushed me over the hump.  Thanks again for all the advice guys.

 

PS: Also, re-reading my posts, I apologize if I came across as whiny.  People have been stuck on individual PEs for over a year, and I was complaining about one month!  Sorry about that. D: