This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/PE1 question

Started by Edoardo Cagnola, August 29, 2014 · 8 Replies · 140 Views

Edoardo Cagnola

I'm sure this had been covered already, but I could not find anything in the forum. Anyways, when performing the scapula shrugs, your hips are supposed to drop (to a little degree)? That's what it seems to me watching the video in the course portal! Thanks guys

Ps: I don't speak English as my first language, so please let me know if I've made some grammar mistake so that I can learn some more than just gymnastic stuff here :)

LateStarter@46

:)

EdStand said:

… shrugs, your hips are supposed to drop (to a little degree)? 
 

-> … shrugs, are your hips supposed to drop (to a little degree)?

 

EdStand said:

... I don't speak English as my first language, so please let me know if I've made some grammar mistake ...

-> … English is not my first language, so please let me know if I've made some grammatical mistake ...

 

Yes, your hips do drop a little but along with the rest of your torso and legs i.e. they don't sag down on their own.

Edoardo Cagnola

Dammit, I thought my English was better.. Ahah

So hips do drop, but they should never be under the level of the shoulder, right?

Rayne-William
LateStarter@46 said:

 

-> … English is not my first language, so please let me know if I've made some grammatical mistakes ...

The following would also be correct.

 

" Please let me know if I have made any grammar mistakes, English is not my first language."

"English is not my first language. Please let me know if I have made any grammatical mistakes."

 

 

Anyway, English is fickle. Some of the "Native" English speakers have problems with the language also. Sentence structure and punctuation is nearly an art form.

Sensei JP
GoldenEagle said:

The following would also be correct.

 

"Please let me know if I have made any grammar mistakes, English is not my first language."

"English is not my first language. Please let me know if I have made any grammatical mistakes."

 

Technically, this is not correct.  The first sentence contains a comma splice, as a comma is joining two independent clauses.  This should be easy to see, as the examples have the exact same clauses, albeit in a different order, but one has a comma and the other a period.  A comma can never replace a period unless followed by a coordinating conjunction (eg, for, and, so, etc).  This is perhaps the single most common error in written English.

 

EdStand, your 'errors' were more of a stylistic sense than a strict grammar sense.  For example, "Your hips are supposed to drop?"  This is grammatical correct, but not the most natural way to phrase this particular question.  A native speaker would place the verb first: "Are your hips supposed to drop?"  Alternatively, a native speaker would add something at the very end: "Your hips are supposed to drop, right?"  Both of these sound like legitimate questions you are asking.  The first way makes you sound incredulous, almost as if you were implying doubt, or subtly suggesting that dropping the hips is difficult or impossible.

 

I was a writing coach / grammar editor in high school and university.  I can say with confidence, even just looking at your post, that you write better than many native speakers.  And to answer your actual question, I believe the hips must drop slightly, but the goal is to keep it to a minimum.

LateStarter@46

One should never start a sentence with 'And'.  :)  :)

Sensei JP

I know that your post is mainly in jest, but there is no grammatical rule against using a conjunction such as 'and' at the start of a sentence, if you know what you are doing.

 

This 'rule' came about as a way to teach new writers not to write stuff like "I like cats.  And dogs, too."  Along the way it developed legend status.  I would wager most instances of it are bad, but that doesn't make it 100% wrong every time.  It is regarded as at least slightly informal, though.  Again, it is a conjunction.  If you are fine with other conjunctions starting a sentence, such as 'if', then you should have no problem with 'and'.

 

See also: http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012/01/can-i-start-a-sentence-with-a-conjunction/

LateStarter@46

I agree with what you say, but I'm not sitting on the fence and have chosen to side with the ancients. :)

Anyhoo  ;) I fear getting out of my depth and so will not premise any further. If there are any bad grammar incidents on this forum, I'm counting on you!

Javier

Form checks AND grammar checks. I'm starting to love this forum. Plus, let's not forget the DIY section in the "equipment" section of the forum. This is a gold mine!