This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE10: Compression problems

Started by Gavin S, August 29, 2014 · 7 Replies · 451 Views

Gavin S

Hi all,

 

I am working this element (Windshield Wipers) and am struggling to keep my feet close to the stall bars. I would say I am 30-50cm away.

 

I think the problem is that I need to push the hips forward more. Is this correct?

 

Also, should I build up the volume with incorrect form or do I stay at 4 x 2 until I can hold it with feet close to the stall bars?

 

Any help appreciated

meras

Where are you in your MN progression? Mastering MN/PE6 should address that problem.

Gavin S

I am on MN PE8 (5 x 3). I can hold the compression at the top, but once I move laterally I lose that a bit.

Coach Sommer
Gavin S said:

Hi all,

 

I am working this element (Windshield Wipers) and am struggling to keep my feet close to the stall bars. I would say I am 30-50cm away.

 

I think the problem is that I need to push the hips forward more. Is this correct?

 

Also, should I build up the volume with incorrect form or do I stay at 4 x 2 until I can hold it with feet close to the stall bars?

 

Any help appreciated

 

- Yes, you are correct; press the hip forward on this.  When the legs are vertical, this will result in the glutes facing straight forward rather than downward.  This movement targets the lower abs particularly hard.

 

- Keep the individual set volume low while you resolve your form issues.  If needed, you may increase your overall volume by simply increasing the number of low rep sets you complete.

 

- Another choice, if available, is to have someone hand spot you and assist/inspire/torture you to maintain the correct position.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Gavin S

Excellent, thanks for the advice Coach.

Rayne-William

Would the following be an acceptable intermediate step before SL/PE10....

SL/PE9.5 Bent Leg Windshield Wipers- The athlete would bend and hold his or her legs at a 90 degree angle while completing hanging windshield wipers.

Coach Sommer

No.

Your pike stretch should be relatively acceptable by this stage in your training. If it is not, you have compromised quality on iM work somewhere along the way.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

ausswe

My manna progressions are a lot further away than sl. There isn't exactly a lot of compression exercises in sl so it makes sense that one could be at pe/10 but not have the compression because they aren't very high in their manna progressions.