My L-sit evolution I'm almost there

Started by chuchodani, August 27, 2014 · 11 Replies · 3,649 Views

chuchodani

Thanks to Gymnastics Bodies community. I'm almost there.

 

progress_one

You are not going to do the L-sit on the ground? (with palms facing backward) I ask because I was able to do the L-sit on the ground with my palms facing forward but then I later found out that it is more beneficial to learn the L-sit with the palms face backwards. This leads right into the Manna progressions. Just a thought but you look like you are doing well.

chuchodani
progress_one said:

You are not going to do the L-sit on the ground? (with palms facing backward) I ask because I was able to do the L-sit on the ground with my palms facing forward but then I later found out that it is more beneficial to learn the L-sit with the palms face backwards. This leads right into the Manna progressions. Just a thought but you look like you are doing well.

I don't want to do palms facing backwards yet because to my knowledge if you are not well conditioned it could give you serious problems on your elbows due to improper preparation on the biceps muscle, and I considered myself a beginner and palms facing backwards could be a problem to me due to my improper conditioning on the joints, but I can do floor l-sit palms facing forward and middle split hold, not perfect form but not to bad.

 

progress_one

I have never heard or read that in regards to doing L-sits with the palms facing backwards. Gymnastics coach, Steven Low, recommends learning the L-sit with the palms backward first so individuals get used to doing it often. I agree with him. Where did you read or were taught otherwise?

 

Btw, your ground hold looks good. It looks like you should be able to do the L-sit on the ground. Maybe a couple of weeks and you will have it, I'm sure. I would like to see what it looks like when you attempt the ground full L-sit.

Daniel Burnham

No reason to turn the hands backwards until you are working the press into manna.

chuchodani
Daniel Burnham said:

No reason to turn the hands backwards until you are working the press into manna.

Is it easier with hands backwards ? or what is the reason?

Coach Sommer

Beginners should never do Lsit with the hands backwards. At this level of strength the brachialis is not yet ready to benefit from this specific type of load.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

progress_one

Coach, but how does one ascertain if they are a beginner or not? Additionally, at what point, does said individual progress to the L-sit with palms facing backwards?

 

Judging from the work that chuchodani has been putting in and the strength he seems to have, I would think he is capable of working on the palms backward variation.

 

I am specifically concerned about this because of my own training. I have been working on the L-sit with palms backward. It is very difficult but I think that is to be expected until my wrists get used to it. But, of course, if my own personal routine is incorrect then I need to correct it.

Alan Tseng

We're pretty much considered beginners until we've mastered the entire Foundation series

Daniel Burnham
progress_one said:

Coach, but how does one ascertain if they are a beginner or not? Additionally, at what point, does said individual progress to the L-sit with palms facing backwards?

Judging from the work that chuchodani has been putting in and the strength he seems to have, I would think he is capable of working on the palms backward variation.

I am specifically concerned about this because of my own training. I have been working on the L-sit with palms backward. It is very difficult but I think that is to be expected until my wrists get used to it. But, of course, if my own personal routine is incorrect then I need to correct it.

Foundation 2 is a good benchmark before starting hands backwards.

Really it's about proper prep. Mastery of planche leans would be a must as a bare minimum. Then the rest of the manna progressions right up to where you would start MSH.

chuchodani
progress_one said:

I have never heard or read that in regards to doing L-sits with the palms facing backwards. Gymnastics coach, Steven Low, recommends learning the L-sit with the palms backward first so individuals get used to doing it often. I agree with him. Where did you read or were taught otherwise?

 

Btw, your ground hold looks good. It looks like you should be able to do the L-sit on the ground. Maybe a couple of weeks and you will have it, I'm sure. I would like to see what it looks like when you attempt the ground full L-sit.

I've learned this pretty much from people who starts post about getting elbow pain in consequence of premature work on palms facing backwards. Thanks for your positive comments !

Coach Sommer
progress_one said:

... Coach, but how does one ascertain if they are a beginner or not? ...

Simple. Everyone at GB starts from the beginning.

Over the years, despite many proclamations to the contrary, I have NEVER had a student join GB who was nearly as advanced and well prepared as they thought they were. Either they were strong, but tight. Or flexible, but weak. Or sorely lacking in fundamental technical execution.

For those who think they are advanced, the process for proving it is not overly time consuming and will only require approx 8 weeks to complete. Each workout day demonstrate week eleven mastery of an exercise and integrated mobility for each of the seven foundational elements from Foundation courses. Do this in the prescribed exercise order, using only the assigned integrated mobility for rest between sets until each exercise/iM in the entire Foundation series has been completed. Proper tempo and technique must be maintained. Note that the quality of the mobility elements must be also be excellent.

Just a heads up, none of the newcomers to GB have ever managed this feat. Although a high level gymnast would have little trouble with it.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer