This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Dislocates outside of HS programming: Overgrip before Undergrip?

Started by mcneuen, August 27, 2014 · 8 Replies · 350 Views

mcneuen

I've heard Coach say that it's ok to work on dislocates for shoulder mobility even before getting to PE5 and PE6.

 

That leads me to wonder whether undergrip dislocates are a progression from overgrip dislocates that should only be practiced once the overgrip exercise is mastered.  Or are they separate enough that I can do some undergrip work from time to time before I'm able to do mastery with the overgrip.

 

Just to be clear, I'm talking about using dislocates as a mobility exercise APART from the regular HS practice, which I'm doing according to the rules in the program.

Keilani Gutierrez

i did it pre-mastering iM's 1-4 and if there's anything i can add is to really respect the no popping, cracking, purely mobility. in the last three form checks, i had a dull/wierd sensation in my right shoulder that i had in June '13 from going too narrow + heavy for the KoTF challenge. lesson: re-learned :P

 

as for undergrip, the chest/bicep stretch is great :) combined with some of the F3 HBP iM's and respecting the mobility guideline, i don't see why you couldnt play with it. getting iM 2-4 up to snuff really makes the dislocates shine. 

Jon Douglas

That shouldn't be any problem IME, as long as you are saving the challenging weights for your focused HS sessions.

If you are currently working on a weighted dislocate progression, I'd say that is quite enough volume on these. If you are just loosening up with a band or a towel or something, no issue (provided you are healthy). But don't let the light weights fool you-- they are only a concession to the leverage, it is closer to strength work and it should be treated as such :)

Kopavski

so, i could do dislocates every day with no weights, just to loosen up, but with weight only 2-3x a week?

Keilani Gutierrez

pretty much. i dont know how others peoples shoulders respond to them unweighted but my shoulder definitely doesnt like it as much as weighted, even with 5lbs. i need a thorough warm up of the joint with bands, a set of 5-10 shoulder extensions beforehand is the go to for me to ease into it right after the Wrist Pe's. (for anyone with a previously anterior dislocated shoulder. please consult with your GB coach.)

Jon Douglas
Kopavski said:

so, i could do dislocates every day with no weights, just to loosen up, but with weight only 2-3x a week?

You could potentially, provided it doesn't irritate your shoulders. Your mileage may vary.

If you're doing them weighted 2-3x a week though, personally I find that's plenty as it is, and I'd recommend erring on the side of caution when you are hitting it hard on your training days :)

Mats Trane

Agree with Jon. In my experience dislocate work is not an every day thing, weighted or unweighted . For a kid maybe but not an adult.

meras

I did unweighted dislocates most days because I really liked how I felt afterwards and I never really pushed to to discomfort.

Ravn

I'm somewhat stiff and have reduced rom in the shoulders the day following dislocates. Doing them every day would be detrimental to me.