This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

just started foundation 1

Started by Mike Bouffard, August 26, 2014 · 6 Replies · 198 Views

Mike Bouffard

Hi folks, 

 

Having a lot of fun with foundation and the challenges it presents. My question is 2 part. First, I remember in the introduction there was mention about breaking training up into straight arm days and bent arm days. I am doing foundation 4 days a week and it doesn't  seem to follow this structure. Is this just not important when starting out? My second question piggy backs on the first. I was wondering if its a good idea or bad idea to do some skill training after foundation. And if this is encouraged how do I organize this extra skill work? do I do FL work on same day as FL foundation work or is this to much. Thoughts and explanations appreciated, thanks guys. 

Duff

I don't know about separting bent and straight arm strength, but I personally like having bent arm work after my straight arm work. Feels nice. I wouldn't like to do sPL elements last.

 

What kind of skill work are you planning to do? And FL is strenght, not skill.

Mike Bouffard

We'll what is considered skill work? My understanding is clearly off.

Duff

I'd say any work that is well below your strength and/or endurance capacity.  Of course, everything has a degree of skill, strength elements not excluded. The line between can be a bit blurry.

 

In gymnastics, skill work would be specific pommel, high bar, rings, floor, parallel bars and vault elements. Those elements require strength to perform, but in order to drill them over and over again, you need a higher degree of strength. If you have the strength to perform a pommel circle(say decent plank, side plank, reverse plank), you are training a skill, but you are also working strength in a way. If you can do a couple of circles, but have trouble doing more, you are still training skill, but also (strength)endurance.

 

In martial arts, if I'm doing kicks with the intent of practising my kicks, I'm going to do it with good form(skill). But if I'm training for speed and output, I'm going to go full out, not caring too much about form.

 

That's my understanding anyway. So, what were you planning to do?

Murray Truelove
Mike Bouffard said:

Hi folks,

Having a lot of fun with foundation and the challenges it presents. My question is 2 part. First, I remember in the introduction there was mention about breaking training up into straight arm days and bent arm days. I am doing foundation 4 days a week and it doesn't seem to follow this structure. Is this just not important when starting out? My second question piggy backs on the first. I was wondering if its a good idea or bad idea to do some skill training after foundation. And if this is encouraged how do I organize this extra skill work? do I do FL work on same day as FL foundation work or is this to much. Thoughts and explanations appreciated, thanks guys.

It should be broken down into Fa and Fb days. Extra work is fine after foundation work and so long as it doesn't interfere with your next workout.

Mike Bouffard

Thanks for the help guys. Clears a lot Of things up for me. I was just looking to add some more exercises 1 or 2 after foundation. I really want to put some effort into FL. So some fl tuck holds and even thinking about handstand work. Mostly with a wall to build wrist and shoulder strength. But nothing excessive. Foundation is the focus

Jon Douglas

FL is a strength element. Train it as such :)