I am on a deload week so this is the last set of 5 x 5.
I Really want the swivel hips form checked as this is what I feel is holding me back, but please advise on the shrugs as well.
Thanks for any input.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by john_c, August 25, 2014 · 6 Replies · 260 Views
I am on a deload week so this is the last set of 5 x 5.
I Really want the swivel hips form checked as this is what I feel is holding me back, but please advise on the shrugs as well.
Thanks for any input.
angle from side while doing shrugs would be better, since we could see the protraction depth and the angle of arms to shoulders
Your elbows are bending during the shrugs. Try to keep your arms straigth.
Thanks for that, it was really a critique of the swivel hips mainly as I feel that is the weaker of the two.
It's a bit hard to tell how much you are lifting your glutes off the ground from the video, which is a critical factor when assessing for mastery. I'm sure you know by now that you need to be able to touch both knees to the floor while keeping your glutes in contact with the floor. So I would suggest a new test. Whether you film it or not is up to you. This time ensure both glutes are always in contact with the floor and lower your knees as far as you are able. The gap between each knee and the floor is a measure of how far you are away from mastery and can help you keep track of your progress. It's also a way of determining whether you are lacking ROM in internal or external rotation (or both). If you can hone in on a specific deficit then it becomes easier to fix it.
Most people who struggle with this movement lack internal rotation, whereas I have the opposite problem (limited external rotation). Whichever camp you fall into, a more specific diagnosis will make it easier for us to give more constructive advice.
I have to admit that my glutes do lift off the ground but I thought it was a bit of a grey area so I guess I was trying it on a bit....
It's a bit hard to see. Could you re-shoot your swivel hips from somewhat further out, and try to keep your body quite motionless?
It seems to me that with that motion side to side you are shortening the ROM somewhat, but I would prefer to see more clearly ![]()