Hi guys, I'm curious as to the different training goals of the planche progressions. Obviously sPL/SE1 and sPL/SE2 should be done on the ground, as a big part of their goal is wrist prep. The video shows sPL/SE3 on the ground, but then sPL/SE4 and higher are shown on parallettes. Is it important which is done? I find the bars much easier, but i feel like i'm cheating my wrists of their conditioning. Is it good to train both ground and pbars? follow the video (duh...)? doesn't matter? (Recognizing of course that the iM is always done on the ground, maybe that provides the wrist prep?). Thanks in advance.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
sPL/SE3, pbars or ground, does it matter
Started by MT Nordic, August 24, 2014 · 11 Replies · 491 Views
It is mostly a matter of personal preference. Hand positions on ground stress different parts of the wrists and PB stresses a different part of the wrists too. Planche on PB is definitely easier than on floor though.
I think Coach posted it's a personal preference some time agon. I mix things up a bit but now I'm on paralettes all the time as I slammed my hand skateboarding ![]()
I find it easier with p bars but that is because mr wrists are weak so I'm doing it on the floor because why would I want the skip the opportunity to strengthen a weakness.
I had the same question about L-sit and I decided to alternate supports : 30s on PB / 30s on floor / 30s on PB / ...
At the beginning, it was harder for my wrists on floor than on PB, now it's as easy
You should try with your current sPL progressions ![]()
That's a good idea, Jaz. I was thinking of alternating from one workout to the next, but within the workout might be a good idea. I definitely feel it's worth being good at both hand positions.
Personal preference, just ensure that none of you dips below the bars ![]()
Flat hands is easiest to keep honest, but it's not necessary as such.
Jon Douglas said:Flat hands is easiest to keep honest, but it's not necessary as such.
I have to disagree. Planche on PB is easier than planche on flat hands based on my experience and from many others. I have never heard of a case where someone found it harder to do on PB than on floor except for alex87 one time, but that was because his grip strength was limiting him. Did you personally find it harder on PB?
B1214N said:I have to disagree. Planche on PB is easier than planche on flat hands based on my experience and from many others. I have never heard of a case where someone found it harder to do on PB than on floor except for alex87 one time, but that was because his grip strength was limiting him. Did you personally find it harder on PB?
Ah. To be honest I was thinking of the integrated mobility ![]()
Re planche itself though, either or, doesn't bother me so far. My planche is not exactly hugely advanced however, so it's probably more accurate to say it's equally weak than equally strong.
Jon Douglas said:Ah. To be honest I was thinking of the integrated mobility
Re planche itself though, either or, doesn't bother me so far. My planche is not exactly hugely advanced however, so it's probably more accurate to say it's equally weak than equally strong.
I'm pretty sure it would still be harder on floor than PB for the integrated mobility (bent arm planche) because the reasons why PB is easier is because it takes a bit less strength due to more leverage from the wrists and the fixed grip makes it easier to generate more force and also makes it easier to balance due to greater control of the wrists.
You will have to test out your max hold time for planche on both PB and floor and compare to determine which is harder for you if you want. The difference is not as high as from rings to floor so you probably don't really notice it that much, but I would be surprised if you did find that it takes more strength or balance on PB for you.
I wrote that flat hands is easiest to keep honest. As in, to ensure that none of ones body is sagging. Because one is closer to the floor.
I do indeed find this position hardest so I regard it as most important to spend time on training ![]()
Mix it up as you prefer in training. However as has been already stated, you should be to demonstrate proficiency at both.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer