This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Soreness in hip flexors... not sure if it's a problem

Started by Cameron Williams (Suspect 001), August 22, 2014 · 8 Replies · 179 Views

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Hi Everyone,

 

I'm on my 10th week of F1, and I've noticed some soreness developing in my hip flexors, and I'm not sure where it's coming from.

 

I guess my question is, how do I differentiate harmless soreness from a real indicator of injury (or potential injury).

 

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for determining these sorts of things?

 

Thanks!

 

Cam

Salivanth

My most typical indication is the sharpness and localisation of the pain. When you're pushing yourself, you feel this dull burning throughout the affected muscles. That's totally fine, and should be pushed through. However, if you started to feel a sharp, isolated pain, that would be a sign to stop. Imagine the difference between trying to move around when quite stiff, and trying to move around on a twisted ankle. The latter gives a very sharp, harsh signal: DO NOT WALK ON ME. The former doesn't actually stop you from moving, even if it's quite severe. 

There are some other indicators that are mostly common sense. Like if the pain lasts until your next workout / stretching session and then you work out again and it keeps getting worse, that's pretty obviously a sign to back off a little bit and let it recover.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Apply pressure. What I mean is that is it difficult to do normal activities with said muscle group or does it literally make searing, sharp pain when you try to do a normal activity. Soreness with create a dull pain that will result in a shortened range of motion, however an injury will inhibit you from applying normal pressure or doing something you otherwise could without having to wince in agony. Does that help? Both require recovery and time for resting, one more than the other.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Thanks guys - both answers are helpful.

 

It's definitely not a sharp pain... just a dull soreness that sticks around 1-2 days after my workout.

 

I think it's the swivel hips that's doing it... I can't think of anything else that really challenges that area for me.

 

So maybe if it continues to get worse, I'll back off the pressure on my swivel hips for a while and see if that helps.

 

 Thanks again

 

Cam

Salivanth

Yeah, that's definitely fine. In fact, that's a good sign. Means they're working hard. As long as the pain's mostly or entirely died down before the next time you do them, you're all good.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Thanks Salivath :)

 

It looks like everything is fine actually.... I did swivel hips last night and eased off the intensity by about 20%, and today my hip flexors feel quite good. Just a little bit of lingering soreness, but mostly gone.

 

Cam

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

That's your CNS adjusting, which is what you want. If you never got sore ever, in any way, it would mean your muscles weren't being pushed nor attempting difficult exercises. The whole point of the Foundation Series is to shore up weaknesses, imbalances and mobility problems so that the actual strength gymnastic stuff can be attained masterfully. What to take away is that this kind of soreness, from time to time is exactly what you would hope to expect. It means your hips are weak, they're getting stronger and (if you're recovering properly) will improve quite well. Just respect the process and be disciplined.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

That's your CNS adjusting, which is what you want. If you never got sore ever, in any way, it would mean your muscles weren't being pushed nor attempting difficult exercises. The whole point of the Foundation Series is to shore up weaknesses, imbalances and mobility problems so that the actual strength gymnastic stuff can be attained masterfully. What to take away is that this kind of soreness, from time to time is exactly what you would hope to expect. It means your hips are weak, they're getting stronger and (if you're recovering properly) will improve quite well. Just respect the process and be disciplined.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Thanks very much Daniel.

 

I am familiar with muscle soreness after training, as I have been weight training for a long time.

 

The hip flexors just felt like a funny spot to be sore, since the only exercise that I felt the soreness in was an iM.

 

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't hurting my connective tissue in that area.

 

But given that I already feel better after going a little easier on the swivel hips last night, I think everything is ok.

 

Thanks again!

 

Cam