Hello, all
It has been many, many months since I have spent any time doing the shoulder mobility HS im 1 through 6. I admit that once you are performing the SE's it's very tempting to ignore the basics that got you there in the first place.
I am planning to go revisit the basics starting at im1. I'd like to get to some high weights here and see how my traps get along. I understand that the upper limit for IM 5&6 is 45 lbs and that IM 7&8 have no upper limit (I am citing coach here).
For IM 1&2, what do you guys feel is a good milestone weight to achieve? What is the upper limit, if any? If I am not mistaken, I think I read here once someone recommended 10 kg? What about going higher? For IM 1, we see oly lifters (albeit with a very wide grip) performing these overhead flexion movements with very high weights!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Upper limits for the shoulder mobility exercises
Started by Micawberian, August 22, 2014 · 15 Replies · 599 Views
weren't the 1-4 iM's also in that 45lb - 35lb - 25lb range?
If they are 45 lbs then that's beast mode
I was thinking with the lever from the lean forward in IM1 that it would be too hard or impossible to get to 45.
I was pulling 16 lbs for im2 at one point and it was hell. But I imagine manna would require strength way above that, so perhaps you are right!
Thanks for your info, keilani ![]()
I thought 30 lbs for the prone dislocates
my PR with IM 7 is 18.5 kg...that is about 40 lbs
alex87 said:my PR with IM 7 is 18.5 kg...that is about 40 lbs
jesus tap dancing christ. ![]()
All hail the one true god, Alex.
Im 1. I used 20kg. I'm 2 I could only use 5 kg. Im5-8 is 20ish kilos I think.
You only need to reach about 10lbs to move on though so you would move on but keep these in your training and slowly try and increase them separately.
Standing dislocates are easy at 20kg now. Alex's is much more impressive, but I'm still proud >.<
If anybody is in the least bit at all curious, the last two weeks of going back to work on Im1 have boosted my handstand abilities through the roof. I'm not sure, but something about working im1 has made the strength to hold a handstand completely irrelevant. It's becoming now a question of only balance, posture, and concentration. Very interesting and I am looking forward to increasing weight even more. current @19 lbs.
Micawberian said:If anybody is in the least bit at all curious, the last two weeks of going back to work on Im1 have boosted my handstand abilities through the roof. I'm not sure, but something about working im1 has made the strength to hold a handstand completely irrelevant. It's becoming now a question of only balance, posture, and concentration. Very interesting and I am looking forward to increasing weight even more. current @19 lbs.
how many sets? 5? or one/two for warming up?
Keilani Gutierrez said:how many sets? 5? or one/two for warming up?
Good question, I am using im1 as a warmup ("warmup"
). It goes like this: wrist stretches, wrist mobility, pec lat and hip flexor stretches, then 5 sets of im1 superset with some warmup ppt drill (usually im12), then the normally h1 work for the day (free hs + im). Sometimes I do get overzeleous with the free hs afterwards, just yesterday I accidentally did like 12 or 13 sets, I lost count. Oops ![]()
gotcha. didn't think of pairing it with a bodyline drill to give my shoulders a break after the wrist PE's. thanks for the info ![]()
What is the ideal weight that should be achieved in Pe1 > im1 before you move on?
5 - 10 lbs is the required weight to move on, but as you see from many of our case studies, it doesn't hurt to push to even higher weights!
When I think about it, if I had to restart the process over again, I would have stayed at IM1 well past 10 lbs. The good thing is even at 10 lbs, some of the later PE's are a walk in the park.