Straight arm and bent arm work

Started by Hayden Whealing, June 13, 2009 · 3 Replies · 3,655 Views

Hayden Whealing

This question has been toying with my mind for a while so I thought that I would post it here.

I know many static holds like bent arm planches and front levers and are meant to be easier than straight the arm versions. But why is it that a straight arm handstand is easier than a bent arm handtsand? same thing with a regular, military style pushup how the bottom position is harder than the start and end position of the push up?

I am in year nine at high school so please dont use complicated mathematical equations that you learned at uni :oops:

thank you

matthew.percussion

It's all about levers, in a planche your arm is at an angle which creates a lever. It puts more stress on the muscles to keep it in that position. If you bend your arms the lever is shortened thus putting you at a smaller disadvantage. Also, more muscles can be used to hold the position.

In a handstand your arms should be straight up and down. When they are straight there is relatively little strength required because your joints will hold most of the weight. If you bend your arms you are required to use your triceps to try and hold your body up.

Make sense?

Hayden Whealing

Thanks matthew.percussion, pretty sure I get it now :)

Joshua Naterman

Relatively speaking, the bent-arm handstands are harder, but straight arm handstands are still very hard if you are using proper shoulder extension. The deltoids are supporting the rest of your body.