This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

After foundation

Started by BMJD, August 22, 2014 · 9 Replies · 627 Views

BMJD

While completing the foundation stuff is a goal for me before beginning structured ring work, been having this question with regards to more 'general' work.

 

On 'off' days, can more general work be done for recovery? Like using elements within the foundation series(not just F4) for recovery, strictly. I mean how would this be done in terms of the way you programme it? 

 

I remembered there was a post by coach saying that the higher the strength level of an athlete, the more general work needs to be done for maintaining general health of the structure (correct me if I'm wrong).

Daniel Burnham

Eventually foundation exercises become warmup. For other work. Some elements will always be included while others which are strictly scaled down progressions can be stopped.

Are you done with foundation 4? It is best not to loose focus of where you are and put your attention to working now.

BMJD

Nope, not done with F4 just close for 5 elements. To be honest, I think I've learnt to focus more on just foundation work the more I do it.

My ring work is extremely low (mostly to maintain my Ring HS), I can actually feel a difference before doing and while doing foundation in my ring work and that has been a motivation in itself.

BMJD

I haven't been injured in quite a long time since doing foundation and making consistent progress. 

 

However, lately I have been feeling a bit more 'stiff'. The thing is ,I can't seem to stretch it out. 

 

The stiffness is felt in the muscle area although there is no pain, just feels a bit jammed up.

 

I do additional mobility work on non F7 days but doesn't really seem to target it.

 

Yesterday, I did some of the earlier PEs for higher reps (40 - 100) which gave some relieve. However this is the first time I did it so I wanted to ask others whether anybody experienced this and how did you deal with it?

Joakim Anderson

I'm between F2 and F4 in my progressions, so not at your level, but something that helps me is keep an early high rep progression and an early iM as a warmup for each element. Such as a row+standing lat stretch for the RC and hollow body rocks+table for FL. I think a lot of other people here do the same thing. Might help.

Murray Truelove
BMJD said:

I haven't been injured in quite a long time since doing foundation and making consistent progress.

However, lately I have been feeling a bit more 'stiff'. The thing is ,I can't seem to stretch it out.

The stiffness is felt in the muscle area although there is no pain, just feels a bit jammed up.

I do additional mobility work on non F7 days but doesn't really seem to target it.

Yesterday, I did some of the earlier PEs for higher reps (40 - 100) which gave some relieve. However this is the first time I did it so I wanted to ask others whether anybody experienced this and how did you deal with it?

Have you tried foam rolling?

BMJD
Joakim Anderson said:

I'm between F2 and F4 in my progressions, so not at your level, but something that helps me is keep an early high rep progression and an early iM as a warmup for each element. Such as a row+standing lat stretch for the RC and hollow body rocks+table for FL. I think a lot of other people here do the same thing. Might help.

 

Yes, I do use earlier PEs as warm up. Do you also do additional work on non F days? As in like a day where you do a lot of endurance type work with simpler PEs for additional limbering?

Murray Truelove said:

Have you tried foam rolling?

Not really, I'm not very clear with how to go about it

Murray Truelove
BMJD said:

Not really, I'm not very clear with how to go about it

1) Buy a foam roller or tennis/golf/lacrosse ball.

2) Apply to muscle.

3) You'll reach a "knot" that's sore/tense.

4) hold until tension/soreness dissipates, normally about 30 seconds.

5) roll further along the muscle until 3) and repeat.

Even just a couple of minutes can make a big difference. I normally do 10 minute sessions working only one area, next session I'll do a different body part.

BMJD

Thanks, I'll try it!

Joakim Anderson
BMJD said:

Yes, I do use earlier PEs as warm up. Do you also do additional work on non F days? As in like a day where you do a lot of endurance type work with simpler PEs for additional limbering?

Not really, I'm not very clear with how to go about it

 

I haven't systemized it into any kind of plan, but I take a day now and then where I do F1 stuff instead of the progressions that I'm on, as active rest and also not to lose those basics.

 

I try to rest on rest days. I trained 6-7 days a week all summer and started feeling really tired in the body after a few months.