This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

GST Foundation 1 on the road (without any gym) - How is it possible?

Started by _micha_, August 19, 2014 · 5 Replies · 633 Views

_micha_

Hey GB Athletes,

I am starting all over again with GST. Next week I will start with a new 3 times per week training cycle (TU, TH, SA) and will stick to Foundation One. The thing for me is that I actually leaving Germany for a long trip around Spain and Portugal by bike. Most of the time I will be in nature and don’t have a gym around. The trip will take as long as I want. Maybe for the rest of my life ;) Sure, I will carry my pair of Xtreme Rings with me and if I am lucky there will be a branch or playground with a bar in a city nearby where I will be able to install them, but I was wondering if there is any way to substitute the following exercises in a way so that there is only natural/urban or better no equipment and partner needed:

The following using a pommel horse:

  • Straddle Running Man sPL/PE2>iM
  • Straddle Modified Reverse Hyper sPL/PE3>iM
  • Straddle Donkey Kick sPL/PE4>iM
  • Prone Half Straddle Planche Hold sPL/PE5>iM
  • Prone Half Straddle Planche Single Leg Extension sPL/PE6>iM
  • Arch Up (AU) SL/PE3 with Partner
  • Curl Up SL/PE4 with Partner
  • Straddle Reverse Leg Lift SL/PE5
  • Reverse Leg Lift (RLL) SL/PE6

How can I substitue these or what else can I use instead of a pommel horse?

 

  • Standing Weighted Oblique Stretch SL/PE4>iM (I could use one of my bicycle bags or rock for weight)
  • Jefferson Curl MN/PE2>iM (I will use a telescopic rod that I’ll take with me for wild fruit picking)
  • Pike Lean MN/PE3>iM (maybe I can do this on a fence or a branch)
  • Half Tuck Hanging Leg Lift MN/PE4 (what is if I do this while hanging on a branch or rings? Is there a wall behind me necessary?)
  • Half Hanging Leg Lift MN/PE5 (same for this as above)
  • Vertical Pike Walk MN/PE5>iM (maybe a metal fence or something similar will do it?)
  • Negative Hanging Leg Lift (nHLL) MN/PE6 (same question as for Half Tuck Hanging Leg Lift MN/PE4)
  • Bench Dip HBP/PE4 (What is if I have no possibility to lift my feet up?)
  • Negative Parallel Bar Dip HBP/PE5 (Parallel Bars are not that easy to find. What about Ring Dips? Actually I can perform 5 sets with 2,2,2,1,1 as reps)
  • Elevated Row RC/PE4 (What if I have no possibility to elevate my feet?)
  • Bent Arm Chin Hang RC/PE6 (Can I use rings or a branch instead of a bar?)

 

I see that most of the time in the early stages there is no equipment needed in GST but as I will move a long progressions there is maybe some stuff I need in the future. I live a minimalized lifestyle and even though I would like to do GST in a more “Your Body Is Your Own Gym” approach (don’t mention the book with the same title here).

 

Best regards,

Michael

Ravn

You can do a makeshift stallbar with a tree, a strap from your rings, and a (broom)stick. Make a loop with the strap, big enough to reach 3/4 around the tree. Place at desired height by draping it around the tree like a horseshoe (basket configuration). Put the stick through both ends, and cinch tight with the strap buckle. Now you can do leg lifts, reverse leg lifts, and vertical pike walk. Using a yoga mat is recommended for padding.

Alvaro
_micha_ said:

Hey GB Athletes,

I am starting all over again with GST. Next week I will start with a new 3 times per week training cycle (TU, TH, SA) and will stick to Foundation One. The thing for me is that I actually leaving Germany for a long trip around Spain and Portugal by bike. Most of the time I will be in nature and don’t have a gym around. The trip will take as long as I want. Maybe for the rest of my life ;) Sure, I will carry my pair of Xtreme Rings with me and if I am lucky there will be a branch or playground with a bar in a city nearby where I will be able to install them, but I was wondering if there is any way to substitute the following exercises in a way so that there is only natural/urban or better no equipment and partner needed:

The following using a pommel horse:

  • Straddle Running Man sPL/PE2>iM
  • Straddle Modified Reverse Hyper sPL/PE3>iM
  • Straddle Donkey Kick sPL/PE4>iM
  • Prone Half Straddle Planche Hold sPL/PE5>iM
  • Prone Half Straddle Planche Single Leg Extension sPL/PE6>iM
  • Arch Up (AU) SL/PE3 with Partner
  • Curl Up SL/PE4 with Partner
  • Straddle Reverse Leg Lift SL/PE5
  • Reverse Leg Lift (RLL) SL/PE6

How can I substitue these or what else can I use instead of a pommel horse?

 

  • Standing Weighted Oblique Stretch SL/PE4>iM (I could use one of my bicycle bags or rock for weight)
  • Jefferson Curl MN/PE2>iM (I will use a telescopic rod that I’ll take with me for wild fruit picking)
  • Pike Lean MN/PE3>iM (maybe I can do this on a fence or a branch)
  • Half Tuck Hanging Leg Lift MN/PE4 (what is if I do this while hanging on a branch or rings? Is there a wall behind me necessary?)
  • Half Hanging Leg Lift MN/PE5 (same for this as above)
  • Vertical Pike Walk MN/PE5>iM (maybe a metal fence or something similar will do it?)
  • Negative Hanging Leg Lift (nHLL) MN/PE6 (same question as for Half Tuck Hanging Leg Lift MN/PE4)
  • Bench Dip HBP/PE4 (What is if I have no possibility to lift my feet up?)
  • Negative Parallel Bar Dip HBP/PE5 (Parallel Bars are not that easy to find. What about Ring Dips? Actually I can perform 5 sets with 2,2,2,1,1 as reps)
  • Elevated Row RC/PE4 (What if I have no possibility to elevate my feet?)
  • Bent Arm Chin Hang RC/PE6 (Can I use rings or a branch instead of a bar?)

 

I see that most of the time in the early stages there is no equipment needed in GST but as I will move a long progressions there is maybe some stuff I need in the future. I live a minimalized lifestyle and even though I would like to do GST in a more “Your Body Is Your Own Gym” approach (don’t mention the book with the same title here).

 

Best regards,

Michael

 

Well this is a problem I got myself as I travel a lot. Some things are hard to substitute sometimes, I´ll tell you what I´ve found it´s useful.

 

 

 

  • Straddle Running Man sPL/PE2>iM
  • Straddle Modified Reverse Hyper sPL/PE3>iM
  • Straddle Donkey Kick sPL/PE4>iM
  • Prone Half Straddle Planche Hold sPL/PE5>iM
  • Prone Half Straddle Planche Single Leg Extension sPL/PE6>iM

All these

  • Arch Up (AU) SL/PE3 with Partner
  • Curl Up SL/PE4 with Partner
  • Straddle Reverse Leg Lift SL/PE5
  • Reverse Leg Lift (RLL) SL/PE6
  • Straddle Reverse Leg Lift SL/PE5
  • Reverse Leg Lift (RLL) SL/PE6

I do them at a sofa, or a couple of chairs and holding something as counterweight at my hands. Usually 3 or 4 kilos and puting the arms forward do the trick to balance the legs. I guess you also can use a low wall or public parc bank.

 

 

  • Arch Up (AU) SL/PE3 with Partner
  • Curl Up SL/PE4 with Partner

something to put your feet under (I used the bar below a gym machine) and some padding for the knees. A park bank again, basketball support structures, etc..

 

 

 

  • Standing Weighted Oblique Stretch SL/PE4>iM (I could use one of my bicycle bags or rock for weight)

If you are traveling, you could buy a plastic water bag, used to carry water when camping, they are quite resistant and have other uses.

  • Jefferson Curl MN/PE2>iM (I will use a telescopic rod that I’ll take with me for wild fruit picking)

the same bag with more water, any rock, and any step or low wall. At home I use 10 kilo dumbell and a chair.

  • Pike Lean MN/PE3>iM (maybe I can do this on a fence or a branch)

Yep any fence, branch, etc... 

  • Half Tuck Hanging Leg Lift MN/PE4 (what is if I do this while hanging on a branch or rings? Is there a wall behind me necessary?)

Yep something it´s necessary to hold the back, if not you´ll use too much your lats, and will lose part of the effectivity.

  • Half Hanging Leg Lift MN/PE5 (same for this as above)
  • Vertical Pike Walk MN/PE5>iM (maybe a metal fence or something similar will do it?)

This is more difficult to substitute, the fence will give too much, maybe the rings and two trees, or stairs. It´s difficult. You may also keep the feet at the ground and go down with your hands (on a street sigh). Not exactly the same, but close enough)

  • Negative Hanging Leg Lift (nHLL) MN/PE6 (same question as for Half Tuck Hanging Leg Lift MN/PE4)
  • Bench Dip HBP/PE4 (What is if I have no possibility to lift my feet up?)

Usually it´s possible to find to park banks close, two chairs. If not you may hang your feet from the straps of the rings. Or put a pole between the straps and use the pole to put your feet.

  • Negative Parallel Bar Dip HBP/PE5 (Parallel Bars are not that easy to find. What about Ring Dips? Actually I can perform 5 sets with 2,2,2,1,1 as reps)

I guess rings will do, they are more advanced, but as you already can perform some dips... 

  • Elevated Row RC/PE4 (What if I have no possibility to elevate my feet?

Use your bike to elevate your feet (the central bar)! extra bonus for the difficulty to stop the bike from going away!

 

  • Bent Arm Chin Hang RC/PE6 (Can I use rings or a branch instead of a bar?)

I think rings are more difficult (due to instability) than a bar. You may always go the difficult route and progress with more caution.

 

Hope it helps.

  •  

 

 

 

 

 

_micha_

@Ravn: That's a really goog tip. Maybe I can give it a try in next week.

 

@Alvaro: Wow! What a detailed answer with such goog tips in it. This will help me a lot. I will copy and past it to my training folder. THX a lot.

Jennifer

I think you need to start a new running thread where you post all your exercises with interesting substitutions as you do them throughout your journey.     :)

 

I myself am far from home and I have had to make some interesting rigged up solutions to equipment.    I haven't missed a workout yet despite the inconvenience.    Woot!