This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/SE1 mastery but months away from the rest

Started by Helgi, August 19, 2014 · 6 Replies · 298 Views

Helgi

A month ago, I bought F1. I've now found where I'm positioned in each of the progressions and ran into a "problem".

 

I am beyond F1 for SLS. The others I'm at least 2 or 3 levels away (still on PE1 for RC actually) so F1 will last me a while for the rest.

 

I'm a poor student in a poor country so I can't buy F2 yet.

 

What's the standard approach to this problem?

Salivanth

The standard approach is to just buy F2, to be honest.

If I were in your position, I would try raising the amount of SLS/SE1 reps I could do, starting at Week 6 of the 5x10r template. (4x6r) That said, given that SLS/SE1 was meant for 5x5r, I'd take it slowly.

Helgi

Well, I will buy F2 when I can but I'm wondering what to do until then.

Jeremy Huston

Other options:  You could deprioritize SLS  and use that time to focus on weaknesses in other F1 areas.  Or go through the SLS progressions again with a higher mastery standard.  For example, PE1 with minimal momentum, PE2 and PE3 with larger range of motion.  Or use this time to work on hamstring/glute/hip/quad flexibility.

Andrew Mckeown

So can you move on to an element of F2 before completing all the other exercises of F1?  

Coach Sommer
Andrew Mckeown said:

So can you move on to an element of F2 before completing all the other exercises of F1?

Yes, IF you have also mastered all of the paired iMs.

Yours in FItness,

Coach Sommer

Kyle West

You could add weight with chains or a weight vest. As long as start light and do it gradually, it shouldn't be an issue. Also, you could work more on explosive/RFD/movement/speed stuff like: box jumping, depth drops, depth drops and rebound, depth drops into sprint, variations of sprints, sprints with sled, sled pushing/pulling, speed skater lateral jumps/heidens, box jump from a sitting position, broad jumps, bounding broad jumps, skips for height/distance, lateral skips, lateral shuffles, single/double leg bounding, cone agility drills (like T, 5-10-5, box), agility ladder work, and a lot more). While most of this stuff isn't necessarily training maximal strength, it is a good way to get some movement in. That being said, most of this stuff is relatively CNS intensive so keep that in mind as it could impact your recovery. Generally, less is best and you should start with simpler, lower force movements. Keep the volume/reps/frequency/intensity lower as this stuff puts some serious force on the body (several times bodyweight with certain moves, and some of them are on one leg). It's sort of like an easier on the body version of tumbling.....minus the higher skill required, but it is still a lot of force. Just like everything else, gradual progression and consistency is key.