Thoracic spine mobility

Started by Andre737, August 18, 2014 · 3 Replies · 4,305 Views

Andre737

Hey guys,

I would like to work more on my thoracic spine mobility!

At the moment I'm doing backbends over a foam roller,cobra pose and camel pose.I'm also doing some bridge work but I'm not able to straighten out my legs so far.

What are your best stretches for the thoracic spine?

Rayne-William

In addition to what you are working on:  1.Plow, 2. Locust, 3. Bow, 4. Cat and Cow, 5. Sitting/Standing Forward Bend 6. Sphinx 7. Half Lord of the Fishes

LateStarter@46

There are quite a few Thoracic spine mobility exercises in Foundation. I have added in extras as I have poor Th.extension, a mid-back kyphosis, and closed shoulders - these are foam rolling extensions, lat flyes, wall slides, and the quadruped rotation exercise in section 4 here: http://megliofitness.com/how-to-squat-deeper/

dmcmanam

My favorite is assisted stretching over a padded metal folding chair.   You want to work on opening the entire spine with specific stretches focused on each area of the spine and with movements that focus on total spinal articulation moving vertebrae by vertebrae. The fact that you are using yoga terms probably isn't to your advantage, seek out local contortionists or rhythmic gymnasts and do a lot of shoulder/chest stretches too.  Foam rolling (not just with a foam roller) is a key element too for opening up tight areas of the back.