Progressing from flat tuck to straddle planche

Started by Timy7, June 11, 2009 · 5 Replies · 3,538 Views

Timy7

So I have been training gymnastics for some time now.

I can perform a smooth no kip muscle up

Full front and back lever

One arm chins with either arm for 2-3 reps

Bulgarian dips as well as RTO dips are easy now as well.

I can also perform a flat tuck planche for 30-40s straight

As well as doing flat tuck planche pushups for 10 reps straight

But for some reason I cant seem to transition to the straddle. Anyone have any ideas? I was told that my hip flexors are probably too tight so any good hip flexor stretches would be great, but I dont think that is the problem.

Appreciate any insight anyone can offer.

Tim

Razz

damn you're way stronger than me in every other exercise and i can do a straddle planche.....

- active straddle flexibilty

what i also did was stand in a flat back position on all four leaning forward alot (back parallel to ground) and do jumps in to straddle planche and then momentary holds, i think those helped me ALOT progressing from tuck to straddle. hope it helped at least a little bit :D

Joshua Naterman

Yea, that sounds smart! I know for me it was hard progressing from flat tuck front lever to flat straddle, even though I can do like 15 or 20 body levers. I just plain didn't have the feeling for it. I don't even remember how I developed it, I think one day I just tried to stand on the wall. Maybe back levers will help you get a feeling for the hip extention? I like Razz's idea on the straddle planche jumps.

Wangtang6911

You are most likely strong enough to hold a straddle planche easily! For me, planches are always a matter of balance and not strength. A good drill to get you used to using those muscles is straight straights. Have someone spot you on these! A straight straight is where you start from handstand, lower with straight body into planche, and press back into handstand.

I feel that doing maltese drills also help with building up planche strength and vice versa!

Good Luck!

Blairbob

If you lack a spotter, simply self spot somehow. Stability ball, weight band, etc. Or or course practice handstand lower to straddle planche. That should be your bread and butter.

Joshua Naterman

Lol, I'm not strong enough for maltese drills, at least not without a pulley system. Which I made for here at home :P What maltese drills would you recommend?