This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Doing Mobility First?

Started by Sam Deamer, August 18, 2014 · 4 Replies · 315 Views

Sam Deamer

Was listening to a podcast with Ian King the other day (on the Move Smart Podcast) and he said to always stretch BEFORE doing strength work. I currently do strength elements as an A1 and Mobility as an A2 - just wondering if there was any reason against doing Mobility as an A1 and Strength as an A2?

 

Any help appreciated

 

Cheers

Damon Amato

In the context of heavy lifting, stretching will relax the golgi tendon organs and effectively make you weaker temporarily.  In the context of F1 it's more about work capacity and not absolute strength anyway so it wouldn't matter much.

Coach Sommer

Continue to do the iMs in between your work sets.

 

Your workout should be structured accordingly; warmup/limber, work sets/iMs, stretch.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

NameLikeNoOther
Coach Sommer said:

Continue to do the iMs in between your work sets.

 

Your workout should be structured accordingly; warmup/limber, work sets/iMs, stretch.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks for adding this, I wasn't sure if I should be working on extra stretching and mobility during the warmup or not. I will now focus some time after the workout. It looks like you are planning to offer some Stretch and Movement Courses. Is there any release date? After starting this program for 2 weeks and perusing the forums, these areas seem to by my biggest challenge as well as for many other Adult Gymnastic Strength seekers. It will be decades before I can qualify to start F2, H2 or R1 without improving my stretching and movement :)

Sam Deamer

Thanks a lot Coach,

I did try it and didn't feel good at all.