This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Coach said F1-4 in 2 months? And other ?'s

Started by law123, August 18, 2014 · 12 Replies · 857 Views

law123

In a podcast, Coach Sommer said the program can be done in 2 months.  I've taken some time away from the program and have sustained some aches and pains in my tendons, muscles, and lower back from pushing probably a little two hard.  I was at F3/4 with some of the movements, but am interested in starting from the beginning.  So, I wanted to post a few questions before I begin tomorrow:

 

1.  Do you think it's a good idea to start from scratch considering my situation?

 

2.  Do you think it will help the tendons, muscles and lower back issues?

 

3.  If I start from scratch and perform each SE and iM with quality, should I feel free to continue to the next progression in the series for the next workout session?

 

4.  With my experience, I would anticipate progressing pretty quickly, perhaps getting back to my previous levels within 1 or 2 months, at which point I would slow down and settle into my previously held levels.  With progression at a fast pace such as that, would the body still benefit from and develop the strength and mobility from performing each SE and iM?  In other words, if someone goes ahead and completes the program in 2 months like Coach said could be done, would he/she still benefit from doing the program?

 

Thanks!

Cole Dano

Coach said 2 years not 2 months Lee. 2 months would be pretty much impossible.

 

Yes, start from the beginning the more advanced members here have all done the same, and all said it was to their benefit.

 

Particularly with your pain issues the early steps may well be key in rehabbing and finding the iM's that you need to maintain as prehab in the future.

law123

Nah, he said 2 months, I listened to it twice.  Someone asked how long it would take.  He said some people might never get through it.  Many might take 18 to 24 months.  And if someone is a "stud" as he said, and has all his mobility in line, he could get through it in 2 months.

Ravn

Lee, I'm pretty sure he was talking specifically about F1 when he mentioned those two months. That podcast was in the context of F1 too.

Adriano Augusto
and has all his mobility in line

 

That's not the case for the majority of adults on this site. Of course you can complete all Foundation in two months, if your strenght/mobility are superb and you do mastery of every single exercise at first attempt; almost impossible for non-gymnasts guys. 

 

Even thought time doesn't matter: this isn't a race, is a marathon. Two year windows to me is OK to complete Foundation, or at least the most elements.

Salivanth

Two months is the theoretical minimum for someone to make it through the Foundation series, and is in no way a realistic target. The HBP has 30 elements. Assuming you work out every other day and pass every single element first try, that's 60 days, aka, 2 months from start to finish. 

Cole Dano

I don't recall exactly what coach Sommer said in that context, but use some common sense here. As Adriano said it's not a race, you've already said you're banged up, so that takes you right out of 'stud' category. No offence because, Coach Sommer's idea of stud is pretty lofty. Then he's been building studs from the ground up for 30+ years.

 

Make getting healthy priority one. The rest will follow in due time.

law123

Thanks for the replies.

 

Yeah, I was writing about the hypothetical F1-4 in 2 months that Coach talked about while assuming he was referring to an already elite athlete.  To that end, I was merely curious about the advantages/disadvantages of progressing through the program at such a rapid pace, specifically with regard to my own situation.  Most of it will feel like review to me, but I'm wondering if there will be a benefit from going through the program again and getting back up to F3/4 from the beginning...at a quick pace.

 

I did go ahead and do level 1 today and found something interesting.  Though it is humbling going from doing One-Arm-Pull-Ups back to Hinge Rows, I discovered that my work capacity has greatly diminished, which I suppose can be built back up and then make the more advanced things easier.  By the way, the Hinge Rows look different.  They are very awkward and kind of hurt a bit.

 

Physiologically speaking (considering the 210 day timeframe for complete restoration of tendon/ligament tissue), will going from F1-4 according to the introduction of the program (if you hit mastery, move to the next exercise on the next workout) stimulate tendon/ligament repair?

Cole Dano

The pacing is just like the Goldilocks fairytale, not too slow, not too fast, just right.

 

You don't need to rush through anything, particularly if something is causing pain. But if you've hit mystery, then yes, it's time to move on, your body is ready for it.

 

The purpose of starting with F1 for someone like yourself is to shore up any holes in your prior training. Most of us have a number of gapping ones.

 

When you are taking about Hinge Rows looking different and being painful, you can make a new thread and post a video, perhaps your missing something that's causing the pain, or you just have a weak link. 

 

We need to get the exercises to be pain free, and if that's not possible find a way to scale that makes them accessible. Learning to work in a pain free manner is essential to building healthy joints.

lypza

Hi guys,

 

Is it ok to continue on mastery (Block 3) of all the Preparatory Elements for the Foundation Courses if one has the strength and mobility?

And also, I started with and have been on a five-day a week working on week-12 of the Foundation 1, i have done four weeks in a row on foundation + handstand ( 5 day foundation + 2HS) and feel very comfortably doing all the reps with good ROM. I want to move on to PE2 continuing from the week 12 like i started for PE1. Do I need to reload - if yes how? Please advise.

 

Thank.

Salivanth

It's advised to move up when you can. If you can pass for mastery first try, you can move on. If you can start at Week 9 of an element, go for it. I'm unsure about how this interacts with deloads though.

Coach Sommer

It is indeed possible to pass all of the Foundation series in approx two months; IF you trained on M/W/F and were advanced enough to demonstrate mastery for new element and its paired iM every training day.

 

The reality however is that this has not happened yet (Of course a high level gymnast could do so easily).

 

The aches and pains which you have encountered are indicative that you started your training at too advanced a level.  Never assume that you are prepared; prove it by demonstrating mastery for each and every element/iM.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

law123
Coach Sommer said:

It is indeed possible to pass all of the Foundation series in approx two months; IF you trained on M/W/F and were advanced enough to demonstrate mastery for new element and its paired iM every training day.

 

The reality however is that this has not happened yet (Of course a high level gymnast could do so easily).

 

The aches and pains which you have encountered are indicative that you started your training at too advanced a level.  Never assume that you are prepared; prove it by demonstrating mastery for each and every element/iM.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks for the good input, and thanks Coach Sommer for your response.  I think that I indeed progressed to quickly as well as did not allow adequate deload time.  I'm building everything back up from scratch and am feeling a lot better too.