This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Chest Roll Pushup Back Pain

Started by law123, August 17, 2014 · 6 Replies · 267 Views

law123

For the HBP, my back hurts when I do the chest roll. Do I have to do the chest roll pushups or is there a better variation, like doing straddle HBP?

Coach Sommer

- Very strange. How are is your bridge work iMs progressing from front lever work?

- Are you rolling up the chest or slamming your chest into the floor?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

law123
Coach Sommer said:

- Very strange. How are is your bridge work iMs progressing from front lever work?

- Are you rolling up the chest or slamming your chest into the floor?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

It's the compression on the lower back as the legs rise above the center of gravity that causes the pain.  When I took a break from the program, I developed a straddle HBP by simply using negative BA planche and either a pushup from there, or transition to headstand then pushup, depending on my strength level at the time.

Coach Sommer
law123 said:

It's the compression on the lower back as the legs rise above the center of gravity that causes the pain.  When I took a break from the program, I developed a straddle HBP by simply using negative BA planche and either a pushup from there, or transition to headstand then pushup, depending on my strength level at the time.

There should be no compression/sagging in the lower back if you are doing these correctly.

If your back is not strong enough to maintain the proper positioning, you have skimped on a few preparatory steps.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

law123

I have some things going on with my back.  I can hold reverse planches, do walkovers, and all that.  I just have really long legs and it is not comfortable on the lower back.

Coach Sommer

We have gone as far as conversation can take us in this evaluation.  Please post videos for review.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

law123

I will if it's still an issue when I build back up to that point.  Hopefully it won't even be an issue!