This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Progressing through weeks with limited ROM

Started by I'mthenewguy, August 17, 2014 · 8 Replies · 368 Views

I'mthenewguy

This might already have been asked (tried searching for similar topic but to no avail). Please just point me to a post if previously addressed.

Question: read the 'shaking' thread and wondered... If I can't for example perform 3x12sec holds of SL/PE1 in full ROM (as demonstrated by the athlete in the video) but only with my zombie ROM, can I move onto 5x12sec holds or should I wait until I've built up the necessary flexibility to progress?

Yours in stiffness

Student Roos

Salivanth

The way I do it is to complete micro-cycles until I can improve my ROM. So you have your bad ROM, and build it up to 3x24s. After deload, you do 3x12s, and try and get a better ROM this time around. If you can't, just keep increasing volume until you can. It's not just flexibility that stops most people from improving ROM in the ABH, it's strength too. So it's good to get more work done on those areas, even at a poor ROM. I'm doing the same thing with Deck Squats, though that really is just a pure flexibility issue for me.

Murray Truelove

I'll give my £0.2, progress all the way to 5x60s, your ROM will improve over this time anyway, get to a decent ROM and move on.

Keep a set as part of your warm up and further improve ROM here.

Salivanth
Murray Truelove said:

I'll give my £0.2, progress all the way to 5x60s, your ROM will improve over this time anyway, get to a decent ROM and move on.

Keep a set as part of your warm up and further improve ROM here.

What would count as a decent ROM? If you had less ROM than the athlete in the video, wouldn't that make SL/PE2 harder? Although I guess that would ensure you kept improving said ROM throughout PE2...

Murray Truelove

You should be able to do a decent rock before moving on. It's not an excuse to get sloppy but to deter you from the obsessive tendency that go on here.

Ravn
Murray Truelove said:

You should be able to do a decent rock before moving on. It's not an excuse to get sloppy but to deter you from the obsessive tendency that go on here.

#Shotsfired  :P

 

Oh boy, I can feel the hornet's nest stirring...

Salivanth
Murray Truelove said:

You should be able to do a decent rock before moving on. It's not an excuse to get sloppy but to deter you from the obsessive tendency that go on here.

Hehe, that does tend to happen :D I've been obsessing over my Swivel Hips for two weeks when I'm literally 1-2 cm away from mastery on my worse side. I've been tossing up between sticking with it until it's perfect, or just moving on and doing Swivel Hips every warmup until I do get it. (This week is mastery week, and I'm pretty confident I can do 5x15 Scap Shrugs.) I think you've just tilted my answer in favor of moving on.

SoyeBoy

I agree with Murray here. There's a possibility that you won't be making sufficient progress just by sticking to the week 1-4 template. You want to be getting in some decent TUT (time under tension) at the end ranges of your ROM. I'm not saying that you should be accepting sloppy form, once a total breakdown in form occurs either stop the set completely, or take a short rest and continue. By constantly repeating the 12s template you may not be pushing yourself enough.

 

This element will require some volume to be put into it while you are getting your flexibility up to par.

Coach Sommer

DO NOT progress onward to SL/PE2 until your ROM deficiency in SL/PE1 has been addressed.

 

A variety of methodologies to achieve this are available here in the F1 forum.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer