This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

When to graduate from hspe5/pe6

Started by bombadil, August 14, 2014 · 10 Replies · 715 Views

bombadil

What's the mobility requirement in the dislocates to move ahead here. I passed hspe4 mobility, and have been working through weightd dislocates. The strength element (im5--holds; im6--pulses) is very easy with a 20 lb bar; however on my dislocates, I'm still on a five lb bar...can I graduate once my hands are just outside my shoulders? Or, do I have to go through a few cycles of increased weight? Coach mentioned add weight and move out and start over. I'm cool with that, but then il be stuck at a strength element that I can do pretty easily. I'm not sure if my question ales sense. I know I have to work on my dislocates, but since the Hsim for many of the next hs progressions are all variants of dislocates, I wonder if I should move forward on the strength elements...

Thanks for any clarification!

Keilani Gutierrez

as the course implies, you can keep stuff in your warm up to keep bumping up weight, seriously, from looking at how intense the H2 course starts off and keeps incrementing, you should definitely do those but at maintenance levels, once you can prove mastery with 3-5lbs with a shoulder width grip on the PE and the iM, you move forward. but yeah, you should keep bumping up the weight, just not as your primary focus. primary focus is to master the Handstand series and to methodically get better at the iM's as you move through the course. 

 

hope that settles any doubt.

Joshua Slocum

Make sure that you're performing PE5/6 with perfect form. I thought they were easy to do, but then I video-taped myself and realized my form was poor; fixing those errors made it *much* harder. 

Nino Begovic
Joshua Slocum said:

Make sure that you're performing PE5/6 with perfect form. I thought they were easy to do, but then I video-taped myself and realized my form was poor; fixing those errors made it *much* harder. 

Im curious to the 'form' you are talking about for PE5/6. Experimenting on the floor I can come up with several variations of this exercise, some that are easier and some harder. I don't see these word anywhere really but am I right if when I do the PE5/6 (I'm currently at PE5), I strive to have PPT and pull the ribs in, while keeping a similar line to what it would be in a technical handstand, a straight line so to speak?

 

Doing it like this I dont feel the PE as a pure strength element since I fight to focus on a good body line. But if I do not care about lower body and ribs I feel it more as a strength element and I can lift several kilograms more. 

 

I'd like to ask a little bit of guidance on this one.

Adriano Augusto

Nino, I'm at PE5 too, currently doing it with 2kg. I strive to the same thing as PE4 but downface.

Nino Begovic
Adriano Augusto said:

Nino, I'm at PE5 too, currently doing it with 2kg. I strive to the same thing as PE4 but downface.

I've had to give that some serious thought. Then I might have done PE4 totally wrong, I thought it was a strength element and I thought that it was about something like activating serratus anterior or something. I dont know, was the weight in PE4 supposed to stretch my shoulders or something? I think I got PE5 figured though, thanks for that.

Matthew Berghella

Hi everyone.  I am currently having issues with both mobility elements of PE4 and PE5.  I am not so worried about PE4, for which I lack  about 20 degrees range of motion with a 4kg load. I believe this will resolve itself with time.

 

However, with regards to the dislocates for PE5 I can only do them with a very wide grip on a 4 kg load (or any load less than 4kg).  Out of a feeling of intuition I'm very hesitant to tackle this exercise with any aggression.  Are there insights or cues for this one that may aid progression safely?

 

Kind thanks for any advice.

Nino Begovic

The only cues Id give are smooth movement/no "shoulder sounds" and to start with little to no weight for ROM first. Ow, and to give dislocates a lot of time since we are going to be doing them even after the PE for 20kg mastery.

Vytautas Pilkauskas
Nino Begovic said:

The only cues Id give are smooth movement/no "shoulder sounds" and to start with little to no weight for ROM first. Ow, and to give dislocates a lot of time since we are going to be doing them even after the PE for 20kg mastery.

Are you serious? For mastery you must be doing them with a 20 kg barbell? :blink:

Nino Begovic

Yes you have plenty of threads about this. Even though a few kg is enough to move on in terms of HS PE's, the dislocates are supposed to 'live on' for 20kg mastery. Thats how I understand it. Ask Coach if in doubt :)

Krel

I think that 2-3kg is enough for mastery. POST-mastery, you should indeed build up to 20kg.