This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Timing Q: Is it ok to separate wrist exercises from HSs?

Started by mcneuen, August 14, 2014 · 5 Replies · 206 Views

mcneuen

Assuming a good warm-up, is there any problem doing the wrist exercises (pushups, rocks) and the handstand practice in different sessions?  For example, wrist work in the morning and handstands in the evening?  Or wrist work on even days and handstands on odd days? 

 

Nacho training

I think that it's better to do it before. They improve the blood flow over your wrists and forearms, so you we be able to work so much comfortable and preventing the risk of injury. Then, if you want to add extra sessions of wrist work, it may be a good idea, but take into account you are working a lot on the connective tissue and it needs more time to completely recover. If you are a beginner 2 times a week will be enough.

mcneuen

Oh, I wasn't suggesting doing extra wrist sessions.  I only meant that sometimes it would be more convenient to do the wrist work at a different time of the day from the HS practice. 

 

Particularly given that I'm not yet to the hand-supported PEs, I couldn't see a downside (at least not yet), but maybe I'm missing something.

Nacho training

If you are not doing hand supported work, then it is preferable that you do it in other moment of the day that you don't do it. However, if you start do to hand support work, I would always do it before, like wrist prep and warm up. More than extra sessions, I wanted to say that if you were going to train handstand once a week, supposing that you were working on hand support, I would always do the wrist work before the handstand work (so 1 session of handstand=1 session of wrist prep). Then, if you have got more time for wrist work but you haven't for a handstand complete session, You could add extra wrist work. I hope to explain it correctly, because of the english is not my main language :)

Ravn

It shouldn't take more than 6-8 minutes to do the wrist work, including a light warmup set, so you won't gain much time by moving it...

mcneuen
Nacho training said:

If you are not doing hand supported work, then it is preferable that you do it in other moment of the day that you don't do it. However, if you start do to hand support work, I would always do it before, like wrist prep and warm up. More than extra sessions, I wanted to say that if you were going to train handstand once a week, supposing that you were working on hand support, I would always do the wrist work before the handstand work (so 1 session of handstand=1 session of wrist prep). Then, if you have got more time for wrist work but you haven't for a handstand complete session, You could add extra wrist work. I hope to explain it correctly, because of the english is not my main language :)

Got it.  Thanks.